Half planted half bare tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anythingscales

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im trying this idea I had. Half planted and half bare. I really enjoy this setup because most of the fish like to school. If they get scared, they all swim to the planted side, and when they feel comfortable, they swim to the bare side. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• img_0857.jpg
    img_0857.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 276
The gravel or sand would look great across the whole tank, or maybe go from a sand going to a gravel bottom. A few ideas to play around with in your head til you decide on what you like. Tank looks good. What fish do you have in it?

my future tank idea is this exaclty heavy or medium planted tankin half the tank and other side fairly bare with maybe just the gravel and a driftwood. today my girlfriend got hired by big corperate pets@#$% as big manager so I'm waiting to probably get everything there, they give 40% off :) and I'm starting to take orders anyone lol no gain on my part all at cost for u guys that been helpful.

I agree with putting some sand or gravel on the other side too, just a little bit so it will cover the glass and maybe some denser plants on the other side.

So far it looks great! You had a really cool idea there!

i think if u are going to do thatmaybe creat a line in the tank that divids it. since u have white sand on one side try putting black sand on the other. and u definatly have to plant it a little more dense on the other side. look into plants that are wider like swords. my personal favourite is giant hygro. i will find a pic for u so you can see what it looks like.

kaz said:
today my girlfriend got hired by big corperate pets@#$% as big manager so I'm waiting to probably get everything there, they give 40% off :)

I should convince my wife to get a part time job there when I get ready for tank #2! :D

it looks pretty cool but do think it would look good with sand on the other side. Another option is to densly plant the entire BACK half of the tank and keep the front half just sand bottom. (Ex-no foregrand plants or decor) that way it can look more uniform. HOwever the way you have it gives them more OPEN Space to swim but less space to establish territory as well. Spreading some sand across the entire bottom might give it a more complete look though.

i like the bare bottom, it gives the illusion of a shore line but thats just me i suppose. I should make my 20gal a zen garden, and order some of those plastic bonzai trees....sorry rambling wooo

My GF likes the bare sided part, as it looks like a beach shore. The fish like it too, they swim there alot.

Good idea, but wouldn't it look nicer if the back half was planted for the whole width and the front half was just sand?

I'm more of a theme freak I suppose and so it calls upon me to just point out, they are fish not people to hange around a shore side they suppose to be in the shore water not over it. to me it just looks plain ugly but again this is just one person opinion. if you like the shore look I would still stick some type of substrate on the glass so it doesnt look like u ran out of money to fill it.

:lol: I have to say i was trying to put it in a nicer way but i do somewhat agree. If YOU like it thats all that matters but i don't find it asthetically pleasing.

No use apologizing, its your opinion. I love it. I can see the geophagus's expression when they glide over the bare bottom, they immediatly look at their reflection and then calm down, its like they know what they look like. Its also very easy to do waterchanges now, as the debris will lay on the bare bottom part of the tank, so it can be siphoned quickly. I am going to add more driftwood to the planted side, maybe more plants as well.

Back
Top Bottom