Half sand Half gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, Im getting my 125 gallon today or tomorow and I wanted to know did amyone ever put half gravel one side and half sand the other? Without really mixing them. Was curious.

Yes, several times!

It's nice looking but some type of barrier is needed to prevent mixing.

I use large rocks/driftwood to create a division, then stone/sand as required.
Some people use card cut into circles then remove card (good for plant specific substrate but no good for boisterous fish)

Sand that is too deep stagnates, either use a sifting fish/snail species or turn manually. The alternative is to have a thin sand layer.

Be cautious around the filter inlet as sand is not filter friendly.

Depending on what kind of fish you are planning on keeping they may mix them for you regardless of the barrier.

Depending on what kind of fish you are planning on keeping they may mix them for you regardless of the barrier.

You're telling me!:facepalm:

Yes, trinket fish will be ok but if you have big fish, forget it!

I use +/- 250kg (550lb) slate and that is insufficient! They are big pieces, maybe around 15-20 stones in all. I made a cliff wall divide and a cave pile and the gravel and sand got mixed, the sand got pushed into the corners.
Big fish and sand, if the fish need it provide it but be aware that they will rearrange it simply by swimming along!

The slate stayed exactly where I left it!

Yeah i have an oscar and a clown knife i doubt the oscar wouldnt wanna play with the sand. Thanks for the opinions and advice though!

Back
Top Bottom