Halimeda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jems

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is halimeda good for a reef tank? Any special requirements? Any advice welcomed.

I think that Halimeda uses more CA than most plants, not the best choice for a reef tank. I have Prolifera, Caulerpa, and Chaeto in my refuge. My Tangs won't eat the Prolifera, wish they would it grows the.best, but they'll eat the Caulerpa.

It`s a good nutrient exporter and it`s really tough so herbivores dont really mess with it.

Doesn't it use more Ca ? True though if you put it in your DT, fish wouldn't. Mess with it.

Halimeda does absorb calcium from the water much like stony corals do. Unless it's a fairly large specimen or a small tank, it won't suck out a *huge* amount. Also, periodically, the "leaves" will turn white and fall off, returning calcium to the tank in the form of a super fine sand. In fact, a great deal of tropical beach sand is made this way.
Calcareous algaes such as Halimeda, Mermaid's Fan, Shaving brush, etc. all use calcium. But they also absorb and feed off of phosphates and nitrates as well.
Bottom line, they're cool looking plants, and as long as you keep an eye on your calcium levels, I think they add a lot of character to a reef tank.

Just to add in, there are other macro algae's that use calcium that are cool looking that act the same way. A couple months ago I was researching macro algae for a future fuge and stumbled upon many others, ochtodes stood out the most due to it not being the green or red we see so commonly, but blue.

Oh yeah, I've seen those! They're gorgeous. It's somewhat surprising how many calcareous algae there are. I eventually want my fuge to be just as fun to stare at as my DT, and the calcareous algae are some of the most beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom