Hammer coral frag placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solidsnakejv

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a hammer coral frag today. The guy told me that I can leave it on the white stone that it came attached to, or break it off and pinch it between two rocks. I opted for the second. Now I'm having second thoughts. What would be the best way to place it? I want it to have the best chance at growing. Should it be away from rocks? Or near rocks?

I agree, should have kept it on that rock. It is one of those corals that doesn't need a large amount of light and likes to be at the bottom of the tank.

Hammers do best with a moderate to low flow area in my tanks so I put mine towards the bottom of the tank. After saying that I have a frogspawn at the top of my tank under 150w mh a near a power head but the power head is pointed down and away from the frogspawn. I usually don't leave my lps on frag plugs the rock thing they come one. If you watch your coral you will see when it is happy and opens up if it stays closed try moving it to a lower or higher flow area and in different light.

Should I be putting the frag away from LR or should it be touching LR?

I try not to let any of the fleshy parts touch the rocks the skeleton doesn't make much difference. If you find a nice place for it you can even use some epoxy to stick it in place.

Back
Top Bottom