Hand feeding fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it is a good way to get shy fish unshy and come out more. It also makes the fish gain trust with its owner, no more Hiding when people come close to the tank :)

I think it is a good way to get shy fish unshy and come out more. It also makes the fish gain trust with its owner, no more Hiding when people come close to the tank :)

+1

I agree with the fact that it helps fish to trust their owner and builds a bond between them.

If i hold a frozen block of bloodworms in my fingers then pretty much my whole tank will come and feast from my hand

I don't really see the appeal. I'd rather dump in some flakes and watch the fish attack them. My fish rush to the front of the tank when someone approaches, hoping they're going to get fed.

I don't do it. Purely because I want my fish to see my face as the source of food, not my hand. If they see my hand as the source, then they'll likely start to jump at my hand if I am ever not quick enough and they get impatient, and if they do that, then that's how I come home one day to a dead fish on my floor.

Well, I have tried to hand tame my 12.6 inch pleco for a long time, he just hates things that are bigger than him and thrashes around the tank so I gave up on him as he also hits the other fish when he goes crazy so best not to try it. Although I do feed my little Snowball pleco from time to time, it took a while to get used to him sucking on my fingers etc as it feels rather funny. My bigger Kissing Gourami feeds from my hand too, it can be quite fun.

Awesome, although my fish don't think my face/hand means food, they think they're getting fed if the tank lid is lifted :)

Mine seem to start trying to attract my attention when I walk in the room. I usually put my face by the glass and then drop it in above them. They definitely link my face to the food. I just got into the habit of doing this because I didn't want to train my Oscar Fish to jump.

Almost everything in my tank hand feeds. The only thing I can't get to is the elephant nose. Even the ghost shrimp jumps into my hand :) so cute I'll post a video soon if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

It would be pretty awesome to have an Oscar that jumped :D

Yes but if they were trained to jump when they seen food shown in front of the tank etc, but I do agree it wouldn't be nice training it then that happened

I'm not telling anyone else not to, by the way, just saying why I don't. :)

Oscars are silly enough to think if they jump they'll get fed. ;)

I think hand feeding has advantages. It gets them more comfortable with your hands in the tank, which makes catching them so much easier. My fish will go crazy if a net touches the water, but they'll swim right in to my hand if I ever need to catch them.

Hahaha @ Dary!

My bettas try to eat from my hand, but I try to be quick because they have little teeth. I can catch all of my bettas with my hand since they are so trusting of me. I like it because nets are no good for bettas.

Back
Top Bottom