Handling Venomous Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've thought about wanting a foxface or a lion fish, but I don't know how to handle venomous fish. Anyone have any methods or advice?

I had a foxface in with a lionfish and had my arm in the tank all the time. Why do you want to handle the fish anyway?

As far as handling I just meant putting them in the tank and stuff. I didn't know if I needed to be extra careful with them in my tank when I do water changes and move things around.

I never am. Neither wanted anything to do with me, I'm always messing around in the tank and never worry about it. maybe that's dumb though...lol

The foxface is very timid, as soon as my hand or anything goes in he hides.

I never am. Neither wanted anything to do with me, I'm always messing around in the tank and never worry about it. maybe that's dumb though...lol

The foxface is very timid, as soon as my hand or anything goes in he hides.

Okay. Thanks. Lol. I just thought it was best to at least ask. I think I want a fox face. In the future a lion fish might be in the question for a predator tank. :)

My research shows that foxface venom affects people differently. Some say it just hurts a lot while others say that there are severe reactions. Either way, you must be very cautious.

If you are really worried, there are long gloves sold for doing maintenance in fish tanks. Some are thick enough to protect from spines and the like. Might be a good idea and it will give you peace of mind. Also, it will prevent any lotions, soaps, etc from getting in your tank from your arms. I definitely plan on getting some if I end up with venomous fish, and have thought about getting some now since my puffers bite. Knowing I have some protection will probably make me less jumpy when I have my hands in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom