Hang on vs Sump for 90g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kungpaoshizi

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm planning ahead (REALLY ahead lol) for a 90 gallon...
But I'm confused..
Seems like the cheapest sumps I've seen are around 100$, and only do 100-200 gph.

BUT

The hang on Aqueon I got, is the 40-60gallon tank model, which does 325gph for 50$....

And even at a quick look, a ~150$ sump which does 350 gph?!
Also just found a 450$(!) sump that only does 277gph?!?!?!

Why shouldn't I just get another Aqueon, for a combined total of 650gph~
Let alone it'll make a nice current in the tank too, for 100$...

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any advice/comments ;)

You can build your own sump for alot less than you can buy one. Is this for fw or sw? Either way, the benefit of adding a sump is that you're adding water volume to your system which means more stable conditions and as the old saying goes, "dillution is the solution to pollution"... If you were wanting to actually use those hob's, you would need 3 of them to adequately filter your tank, and i'd be skeptical then. Got anything against canister filters?

Just seems like more of an expsense than what is necessary /shrug
Let alone I don't want to drill/modify the tank walls, but I suppose I have yet to look in-depth at a lot of sumps, or the diy's..
But I guess I didn't think of extra volume.

Though that makes me wonder, in the case of filtering, which is better in the end, more volume added or more filtration per hour?

Though that makes me wonder, in the case of filtering, which is better in the end, more volume added or more filtration per hour?

There's no reason you can't have both. A properly setup DIY sump will filter better than any off-the-shelf for the same money, in addition to adding more water volume to your system. You can pick any return pump you'd like, as long as it's rated for less flow than your overflow.

I would think a 20L would be a more than adequate sump for a 90g. You can find them dirt cheap used too. Another benefit of sumps is you can hide your equipment instead of putting it in the display tank.

Back
Top Bottom