Hard, soft, distilled, RO?........ water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaryFatKidGT

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So first question, I've always used hard water for my fishtanks but if distilled and RO is fine would soft water be better?

Then why is RO and distilled water used? Isn't distilled bad, like nothing in it but water? Same with RO, how do fish live in it? Do you need to add minerals back in?

So first question, I've always used hard water for my fishtanks but if distilled and RO is fine would soft water be better?

Then why is RO and distilled water used? Isn't distilled bad, like nothing in it but water? Same with RO, how do fish live in it? Do you need to add minerals back in?

I just use tap water and condition it to get the chlorine and other harmful substances out of it. I also use pH Down to somewhat reduce my water's pH. I have no experience using RO water in a tank, and I don't really see a point in using it either since there are no minerals in the water and the minerals would have to be replenished. In terms of hard/soft water, most fish can adapt to your tap's conditions and live a happy life. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just use tap water and condition it to get the chlorine and other harmful substances out of it. I also use pH Down to somewhat reduce my water's pH. I have no experience using RO water in a tank, and I don't really see a point in using it either since there are no minerals in the water and the minerals would have to be replenished. In terms of hard/soft water, most fish can adapt to your tap's conditions and live a happy life. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Yeah same here but my PH is like 7.6 so not bad for most fish.

I mean like soft water from a water softener like bathroom water.

Back
Top Bottom