Hard water moderately high ph.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarFan76

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I've recently started a 65 gallon aquarium for a small tiger Oscar. My tap ph is about 7.9 - 8.0. I've been reading that higher ph makes the ammo more toxic during the cycle. I'm wondering at what point I should do a Pwc during a fish in cycle on my 65 gallon tank. Any suggestions? I did one tonight when my ammonia reading was 0.25 and nitrite 0. My only concern is that doing a Pwc will prevent the ammo from converting to nitrite. I've read that it can become dangerous at about 0.4 with a ph of 8. I am not using anything to adjust my ph. I've been reading the newbie tips. Thanks for all the advice on this forum. I have already learned so much. I really want my tiger to stay healthy.

Thanks.

P.s. any idea if aqua-pure ammonia filter pads are helpful during the cycle? My wife bought them but I'm afraid it will mess with the cycle. They are supposed to trap ammo in the the filter.

OK, so you don't want to use those pads - go ahead and take them back to the store. all you need to add to your water is water conditioner - prime is highly reccommended on here. it will neutralize your ammonia for about 48 hours - same thing the pads would be doing. also, you don't need to add the stability. sometimes this can mess with your cycle (or so I have heard)

doing pwcs is what you have to do when you have fish in there and are cycling. just part of life. it will not really slow down your cycle. the most important thing is to get your fish through the cycle without harming them. if it take a few weeks more so be it.

you mentioned your tap PH at 8.0. what about your ammonia and nitrites, and nitrates. test your tap water and see what it is. this will help you in knowing what you are starting with.

post your results... we will help you through this!

Thanks so much for the help. Here is my tap water. The ammo looks lighter than in the pic. I think it is closest to 0.25

Attachments

• image-293880252.jpg
    image-293880252.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 103
Also the nitrate level most closely matches 0ppm. It is a little darker than my chart but it is definitely yellow instead of orange.

Thanks again.

I guess my pwc did not help last night if my tap ammo is 0.25 as well.

I have been using Tetra AquaSafe to declorinate. I just ordered some prime and a python.

Update on tank parameters tonight.
Amm: 0.25 - same as tap
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Gah! I'm pretty sure he has ich. Darn petsmart. I've raised my heater temp to 85 and added a little aquarium salt. Should this work or should I use a treatment since my tank isn't cycled anyways?

Does this look like ich? They are little white dots. The tank is not cycled. I read that the ammo is worse at higher temps. So I turned the heater back down to 78. I'm thinking maybe I should medicate since I just started this cycle. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Attachments

• image-3993397316.jpg
    image-3993397316.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 92
I havent had good luck battling ich. If they are little white dots like salt sprinkles then its is probably ich. If your plants and fish can tolerate it i would take the temp back up. I hear that ich cannot survive past 84deg and the appropriate dose of aquarium salt. I wouldn't worry about the cycle right now. If your fish die then whats the point. Also dont use any of the chemical treatments, they just stain your tank blue.

Keep up the water changes to keep your ammonia and nitrite down. You're doing well there. (y)
Now, that is ich. What you need to do is:
Increase the temp slowly over a day up to 86-88F
Increase aeration (hotter the water the less oxygen)
Leave the temp up for at least a week AFTER the last spot is seen.
Gravel vac frequently to help remove the ich from the substrate.
Ich is common in newer cycling tanks from the stress the fish can have.
You can add salt but ich can be treated without. You want a dosage of 1 flat tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. Dissolve it in some tank water and add it slowly over a day or so.
Medications are not needed.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes it looks like little grains of salt/white spots. We sort of noticed at the pet store but there was less of it on all the Oscars and we were inexperienced. There is a lot to learn with this hobby it seems.

I have about 1 tbl spoon of API salt per 5 gallons in there now. I will start slowly increasing the temp this morning.

The strange thing is I haven't noticed any rise in ammo or nitrites since we put him in the tank on Sunday. I did one partial water change before I realized the tank was the exact same as the tap. I hope this little guy is enough to cycle the 65 gallons.

Thanks for the assistance.

OscarFan76 said:
Thanks. Yes it looks like little grains of salt/white spots. We sort of noticed at the pet store but there was less of it on all the Oscars and we were inexperienced. There is a lot to learn with this hobby it seems.

I have about 1 tbl spoon of API salt per 5 gallons in there now. I will start slowly increasing the temp this morning.

The strange thing is I haven't noticed any rise in ammo or nitrites since we put him in the tank on Sunday. I did one partial water change before I realized the tank was the exact same as the tap. I hope this little guy is enough to cycle the 65 gallons.

Thanks for the assistance.

So next time you'll know. :) don't buy sick fish.
The ammonia will take time to initially rise. He will produce enough ammonia. Keep an eye on it and keep up the water changes to keep it low.

Back
Top Bottom