Hardening and softening the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pitbullfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Not sure which I'll need to do, harden or soften the water. I know I can use peat moss to soften and limestone to harden water. But how long does each method take? How do I know how much to use? I live in Kentucky, which is pretty much made of limestone, but how will I know the rocks are safe? I've heard I can just buy peat moss from a garden center, but is that really safe? Thanks so much for any help!

I use laguna peat pond granules and you can buy at Amazon with free shipping:

Amazon.com: Laguna Ponds Peat Granule with Mesh Bag, 4-Pound: Pet Supplies

You can also buy organic peat from the garden center. Just check the bag to make sure that it has no additives. I like the granules because it's peat that has been compacted. If you use straight peat, you need to use a very fine filter bag so bits don't muddy your tank.

I don't know for sure what kind of fish I want yet so I'm just doing research, really.

unless you plan on keeping discus or some tetras (if you have hard water) there really is not a need to change your waters hardness or softness, most fish are farm breed and therefor much more adaptive to different water parameters. Now if you are keeping wild caught fish then that would be different lol.

I have a very similar problem with hard water and high pH. From my experience there are more than just discus and tetra that don't adapt we'll and certainly don't live up to their full life expectancy, whether farm bred or not. It's important to try and find fish suitable to your water rather than change your water to suit a certain fish. I wouldn't chemically change my water parameters and would always go for consistency.

I have a very similar problem with hard water and high pH. From my experience there are more than just discus and tetra that don't adapt we'll and certainly don't live up to their full life expectancy, whether farm bred or not. It's important to try and find fish suitable to your water rather than change your water to suit a certain fish. I wouldn't chemically change my water parameters and would always go for consistency.

you are right, i did not mean to imply those are the only two fish, research should always be done and fish should be chosen that will thrive in your given water parameters :)

I have really soft water, less than 50 ppm CaCO3, and pH of greater than 8.3, my fish do fine with no chemical adjustments: neon tetras, guppy, gourami and cory cats in a 36g bowfront and a Crowntail Betta in a 10g.

Back
Top Bottom