Hardscape for Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoelCouch

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is my first Invert setup. Any feedback is always welcome.

My goal with this setup was to create as much micro surface area as I could (within reason, cause yeah I could get carried away as well). This is why I chose to use lava rock. I also wanted some darker areas for hiding places within the hardscape but not too much because I want light to hit most of the tank. That said, I also don't think I want a high tech setup for the shrimp, although that may change over time.

I'm not 100% on what plants I'm going to put in here. I would love to put some Bucephalandra. I'm thinking about putting those up top. I'd like to find a nice ground cover, I'm just not sure what would be a good fit. Anyone know of a Buse that makes a good ground cover in a setup like this? I'm also considering some sort of moss but I'm not sure if they'll really do well on soil vs being attached to rock or something. If anyone has suggestions that would be dandy.

Attachments

• 2015-04-02 08.38.29.jpg
    2015-04-02 08.38.29.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 2015-04-02 08.38.41.jpg
    2015-04-02 08.38.41.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 250
Nice set-up - love the depth you've incorporated into the tank. What size is it? Not sure if it is in your plans or not, but as part of the hardscape you are going to want to include some wood, which also makes a good spot for moss attachment. I'm no expert by any means, but in my understanding the wood produces a nice mulm layer for the shrimp and shrimplets to use as an additional food source.

Thanks for the compliment on the layout.

The tank is 9 gallons.

My experience (very limited) with wood is that it tends to tint the water even after boiling it for 4 days straight (just during the day). I am definitely no expert either, but from what I understand that mulm will also grow on the lava rocks and the lava rocks having such a porous surface will give a ton of area for micro-organisms to go wild, at least that's my plan.

There are a few good things about wood though. One being a natural deterrent to algae. The other being the tannins that it releases into the water also lower PH (if that is something that is needed). My tanks tend to sit either just above 7 (like 7.1) or as low as 6.5 or so. So, unless I'm missing something (very possible) I think I'm good without the wood.

All that said, there have been some suggestions out there about feeding leaves for the same reason you sited for using wood. The leaves don't last as long but they get mostly all consumed. I can also build up the mulm before putting the leaf into the aquarium, thus creating more mulm for the shrimp to enjoy.

I'm still learning here, so if I have something wrong or there's something else that I should take a look at feel free to direct me.

Nice set up.
One thing I have learnt about cherry shrimp in particular is that they don't like a new 'clean' tank. They feed off bio film on all surfaces but on moss in particular so I feel moss is essential.
When I give away a bag of shrimp to friends I send them with a bag of moss. They spend most of their early weeks in the moss before venturing out.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428014445.702403.jpg
Above is my small breeding tank, nearly all moss.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice set up.
One thing I have learnt about cherry shrimp in particular is that they don't like a new 'clean' tank. They feed off bio film on all surfaces but on moss in particular so I feel moss is essential.
When I give away a bag of shrimp to friends I send them with a bag of moss. They spend most of their early weeks in the moss before venturing out.
View attachment 269079
Above is my small breeding tank, nearly all moss.

Hi scot I was wonder how did you get your java moss to grow so well?
I currently have a bit that I bought from a LFS and it hasn't really grown

It's not attached to anything I've just let it sit on the substrate

Any help will be appreciated :)

For whatever reason(s) I've never had much luck with java or willow moss...different tanks, lighting, stock, etc.

My tanks are all low tech but flame and Xmas mosses have grown and looked so much better for me.

This mat and cave are in my badis/RCS tank running only a sponge filter and led strip light:

img_3196698_0_ce2e3114e6012e6e7abddf3a720e435f.jpg

From my experience, just put in a tiny piece of java moss and you will end up with enough to fill the tank in a few months. Also, what size is your RCS/badis tank?

From my experience, just put in a tiny piece of java moss and you will end up with enough to fill the tank in a few months. Also, what size is your RCS/badis tank?

Ugh, never did that for me unfortunately.

That tank is a 2.5g. The badis will be moving into the Spec 5, then I'm clearing out all the RCS and using it for tigers.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Nice to see you, Theresa, thanks for stopping by and contributing. (y)

I'm thinking of going with Neocaridina heteropoda ( Yellow) Intense yellow shrimp. However, it's possible that changes up a bit. I'd like something with contrast to the dark colors in the tank so that they will be easy to observe. I also like several of the tiger and bee type variations. And am currently shying away from the blue and red type for this setup.

I am also considering Subwassertang moss. I've been relatively successful with the little bit I have in another tank. My thinking is that whatever moss I go with it is going to be the primary plant in the tank. The other plants (Buce in this case) are just to help add a little pizzazz.

Joel I look forward to seeing this tank develop.
Scott you are supposed to be banishing moss from lawns this time of the year(nice moss).
Put a piece of filter pad behind that intake grating on top to reduce the amount of shrimp that live in your filter.
Looking top notch so far!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I've added a small clump to my 5 gallon tank which has RCS in them but it doesn't seem to be grow looks the size as I got it...
Do I need to attach to something like bogwood?

I'm thinking of going with Neocaridina heteropoda ( Yellow) Intense yellow shrimp. However, it's possible that changes up a bit. I'd like something with contrast to the dark colors in the tank so that they will be easy to observe. I also like several of the tiger and bee type variations. And am currently shying away from the blue and red type for this setup.

Orange sakura look fantastic in a dark setup too. Do you have experience with shrimp?

I woke up too early today. Counting rabbits instead of sheep doesnt work.
Just a thought here sir, when maneuvering lava rock or lace rock around, move at an extraordinarily deaf touch. Im sure you're already familiar with their ability to scar glass. But the rock is worth the gamble.
I was also gonna say to rinse down the substrate and lava rock after youve finished the dry run. Just to lose the dust. Anyway I know that was too late and you've done all that without me needing to say a word here.
Except for the rabbits and sheep.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Theresa, no I don't have any experience with shrimp. Just starting out and trying to put to use what I have learned so far.

Neos are hardy, regardless of color type. Definitely looking forward to seeing your progress with this tank!

Tbox, getting good tips is never too late. It just happens that I finally put water in this tank on Saturday.

Good point on the rock bs glass. I have been very careful and successful to this point. Also one of the reasons I decided to glue the rock together.

Also, when I put water in the tank there were a couple places where my slopes started to slide. And one of my plastic retaining pieces came out. I just picked up some larger than pea size pebbles and put them in there. So far that is working but I wand to test a little further.

Here is an update on this project. Unfortunately the image got resized when uploading. If enough people are interested I can find another way to get the image up.

Attachments

• Shrimp Tank Plant List.jpg
    Shrimp Tank Plant List.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 513
Back
Top Bottom