Hardscapes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T Money

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm having a hard time trying to find rocks for my 125g cichlid tank. I have no rockyard or landscaping Co nearby who sells anything that I can use. What should I do?

When all else fails, start collecting stones from your neighborhood, creeks, lakes, rivers, ECT.
Just make sure the area is free of toxins (pesticides, weed killers, petroleum). Rinse off the rocks thoroughly. The vast majority of rocks are okay for aquarium use, but avoid metallic or grainy sandstone rocks.
You don't need to go OCD about cleaning rocks. No boiling, or bleaching. Just wash them off with water. Happy hunting.

When all else fails, start collecting stones from your neighborhood, creeks, lakes, rivers, ECT.
Just make sure the area is free of toxins (pesticides, weed killers, petroleum). Rinse off the rocks thoroughly. The vast majority of rocks are okay for aquarium use, but avoid metallic or grainy sandstone rocks.
You don't need to go OCD about cleaning rocks. No boiling, or bleaching. Just wash them off with water. Happy hunting.
Thanks. I'll start today. I'll update you with what I find

Good way to test them is to leave out a pail of water to let degass, test pH/kH/gH and then introduce the rocks. Let them sit for a day and test again, hopefully they don't alter the parameters and you're set.

Back
Top Bottom