Harm in lighting non planted aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candi1990

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the harm in leaving lights on an extended amount of time in a non planted aquarium? I turn them on in the morning and leave them on til I go to bed. I have never had an algae problem (I know that can happen) And my water is fine. But I see people who time their lights I hope it's just for plants.

And does the kind of light matter? Bulb and fixture?

If you dont have plants then you can have any light that works for you. Usually when you have the light on more then 10 hours a day it creates algae.

Tank Lighting Question

What's the harm in leaving lights on an extended amount of time in a non planted aquarium? I turn them on in the morning and leave them on til I go to bed. I have never had an algae problem (I know that can happen) And my water is fine. But I see people who time their lights I hope it's just for plants.

Hello Candi...

Aquarium fish need a period of darkness or dusk for at least 8 to 10 hours per day. They generally come from tropical areas and are used to long hours of daylight, but need their rest in subdued lighting too. The fish aren't particular about lighting just need times of day and night, like we do.

I keep my tank lights on a timer set for 12 hours on and 12 off.

B

Fish are not fussy when it comes to lighting as long as it is not extreme, meaning too much or none at all. As long as you have no plants and you want light just for viewing, any length of time is fine and turning them off at night like you do is fine.
In your case I would recommend low wattage low light to keep algae from growing. With the length of time you plan to run the lights you will eventually get some algae, just scrub it off, algae other than sometimes being unsightly, is not harmful and some fish even like to nibble on it.
Hope this helps.

Excessive light leads to inadequate rest leads to fish stress leads to illness susceptibility. You probably aren't giving too much but a timer also gives them a more natural day length if your schedule is erratic at all. Or, perhaps you go away for a weekend? The light would still work. Plus, mechanical timers are cheap! I saw them for $1 at Christmas time.

Excessive light leads to inadequate rest leads to fish stress leads to illness susceptibility. You probably aren't giving too much but a timer also gives them a more natural day length if your schedule is erratic at all. Or, perhaps you go away for a weekend? The light would still work. Plus, mechanical timers are cheap! I saw them for $1 at Christmas time.

Really? I need to look into this. I would still do the time 8am to 10 pm. That's what I do anyway.

Your tank doesn't require light... Putting light for too long can make algae issues.

8-12hrs is the best.

Back
Top Bottom