Harmys official 75g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep us with daily test updates :D this is some of the most exciting times when setting up a fish tank. The anxiety of being almost there yet still taking your time.

Ya i need to get a test kit. Having done a cycle before starting from a clean slate i know the routie so i wasntworried about testing yet. I dont see a huge need to test all the time right now. If i had to guess i would say my cycle will be done in abouta week.( of course ill test to be sure before adding anything). Having 6 filters in my 10 gallon with raw shrimp for 5 weeks should put me in the middle of or end of the nitrite part of the cycle. Now i pretty much just have to wait for it to spread from my filters to the rocks.

No. I know i want a pair of clowns cause everyone has them lol. A goby or blenny. A maridian dragonnet( spelling) a tang maybe. On the fence about the tang. Andi dunno what else i can get or if im full

Ok went to the lfs and they dont have much. Mostly dog and cat and fw stuff :(

So i just ordered a sw master test kit from api of course. 2 750 koralia evolutions. Do you think i should also get 2 nano ones? One for theback behind the rocks and one for surface?
I also got 2 strainers 3/4 inch for my overflow to keep things from goingfor a ride.

Right on. For most salt water setups I have heard 1" for every 5-10g (that is the size the fish will be not the purchase size.) The amount of water movement can depend on the fish and coral you plan to get. Some fish like slow current and some like fast. I think the ones you have ordered should be enough.

Hmm im not sure that inch rule really applys. Im not even sure itwould be a fair guide line in salt water.

Here is why ( my personal opinion )
Clown fish 3 inches roughly. For a pair thats 30-60gallons thats most of the tank allowance depending on what part of the scale you are using.

Gobys about 2 inches.10-20 gallon
Blenny 2 inches .10-20 gallons.
Mariadan 2 inches.10-20 gallons

Those would be between 60 and120gallons under those guidelines andi cant believe that would fill up a 75 gallon. Or would that really be a full tank right there ?

I never did the math... that's just what I read... I know FW is 1" per gallon. Also in my 320G I plan on having way more then 1" per 5G

I know sw is less crowded then fw as they tend to be a little more territorial but 1inch per 5-10gallons seems like alot. Specially if you use it closer to the 10gallon mark. And i think with a bigger tank like a 300+ gallon you may have a littlemore forgiveness as there is.more.hidingroom ect

Saltwater fish are more territorial than fw fish. They will stress out the more timid fish and cause it to die from ich or just stress. A mandarin needs a large tank because it just eats copepods and they are very slow feeders. Clowns are Damsels and are very territorial when paired up and will kill all other clowns unless in a very large tank. IMO

I believe that type of fish has far more to do with the amount of fish then the size. I was just trying to help you keep your numbers low so as not to lose fish due to overcrowding.

Saltwater fish are more territorial than fw fish. They will stress out the more timid fish and cause it to die from ich or just stress. A mandarin needs a large tank because it just eats copepods and they are very slow feeders. Clowns are Damsels and are very territorial when paired up and will kill all other clowns unless in a very large tank. IMO

I agree with TC. These fish are more delicate and different to their river and lake cousins.

Im a little confused here. Are you telling me this in refrence to something i said or just giving me facts about these fish. Just trying to figure out tje context behind this post.

I only want one pair of clowns. So there wont be any other clowns for them to pick on. And the madirian is a long term project. I plan on putting copepods on the mt and in the fuge/sump and letting the population grow for 6-9months before adding the fish. This isnt a fish to get as soon as the cycle is done.

Just facts Harmy. :)

You could get a tank bred ORA Mandarin that are coming soon. They are trained to eat mysis and the like making a large tank unecessary.

Im a little confused here. Are you telling me this in refrence to something i said or just giving me facts about these fish. Just trying to figure out tje context behind this post.

I only want one pair of clowns. So there wont be any other clowns for them to pick on. And the madirian is a long term project. I plan on putting copepods on the mt and in the fuge/sump and letting the population grow for 6-9months before adding the fish. This isnt a fish to get as soon as the cycle is done.
I am only telling you about SW fish as it is with my experience. Saltwater fish are expensive and it is far better that you learn from my mistakes then for you to loose alot of money and animals. Believe me I am not preaching to you in any way.:)

Sorry if i sounded snipity which im sure i did. Im supertired andi wasnt sure if i said some thingor miss typed something that hinted i was overstocking or something. I kinda know what i want but i dont want to over stock. Im just not sure what my overstock level will be.

Im between 75 and 90 gallons of water with prolly 75 pounds light very porius rock.115 gallon of space total between mt..fuge...sump.

I would like a clown pair. A goby pair or a goby and a blenny, a madrian and maybe tang. The tang is the one maybe on the list. The other 5 are for sures.

That to me sounds like it should work. (with the tang) And as Mitchell said ORA Mandarins would be a nice thing to get... maybe even a pair as they would not rely on copepods for survival.

Yes, I believe that the ora mandarins are worth the wait. I sure am waiting. The thing is that they can't compete with other fish for food and you might have to make a feeding station like Melvins reef did.

You're right, and I'm sure they will sell out imediately too. I can feel the buzz already...

Back
Top Bottom