Has anybody ever done this before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarist27

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay guys I have a legit question for everyone. My brother has a pleco in a 8 gallon tank. And after reading all of this I realized how cruel it is to the fish. Since I don't plan on forking up the cash right now for a 55g tank for a single little pleco (I don't have the same affection some of you seem to have) but at the same time I feel terrible for his current conditions. There is a pretty large atleast 1000g lake/pond at the front of my neighbor hood that is spring fed (FL) do you think he would survive in there??

Don't do this - it is considered illegal introduction of non native species. The least you'll get is a fine, and you'll have to live with the fact that you may have been responsible for introducing something into the ecosystem that ultimately causes the local ecosystem to fail. Take the fish back to the LFS, if they won't buy it back, explain that you don't have a tank large enough for it and that you would simply like to donate it back to the store.

I agree, introducing non-native species into the wild is the reason why there is a serious python problem in south florida right now, as well as snakeheads, oscars, tilapia, piranha, and the list goes on and on.

Renegade is right. It is illegal and highly unethical to introduce any non native species to the environment. Actually, it is bad to release any creature that has been kept in home aquaria into the wild, even if it is a native species, even if you collected it from the same body of water you release it into. Fish kept in aquariums, especially non native species bred for the pet trade come into contact with non native diseases and can pass those on to the wild population that has no immunity to it. The new fish can throw the local ecosystem off balance through disease, predation, or out competing native species for food. Hopefully you can find a LFS or other pet store that can rehome it. You could also try posting an ad on Craigslist to try and find it a home. Another idea - do you know of any local businesses with a koi pond or large display tank that might want him?

Okay that all makes complete sense. I was just thinking out Loud and looking for input and thank you it helped! I'll probably go with the Craigslist add since I'm pretty sure all the pet stores around would likely just do the same thing with the fish the seconed time that they did to me (and everyone else they sell to) the first time and tell you it's okay in any size tank you want. Poor little guys are being squeezed to death all over the world :(

Good point about the pet store! If you have a good LFS around you may be able to ensure it goes to a good home. If you do have to go the pet store route, go in without the fish the first time and question the management a little about plecos, like you wanted to buy one but know nothing about it. See what size tank they recommend and if they don't say 55-125 gal go to the next one! Is this pleco a common or a different variety?

jetajockey said:
I agree, introducing non-native species into the wild is the reason why there is a serious python problem in south florida right now, as well as snakeheads, oscars, tilapia, piranha, and the list goes on and on.

And other people doing it is why I can't have piranhas down here in Louisiana. Which makes me very very sad. Also, I thought a big part of the python problem was snakes getting loose in the wake of hurricanes and storms. And by the way, did anyone else read "python" and think of the water changer instead of the snake first?

Find a good mom and pop shop. They likely have a customer base with large tanks that would be happy to pick up a larger pleco.

Im pretty sure he's a common and See he's not all that big either I just know he is wayyy to big for an 8 gallon tank really at anytime. :/

Attachments

• image-3206163353.jpg
    image-3206163353.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 61
siva said:
Find a good mom and pop shop. They likely have a customer base with large tanks that would be happy to pick up a larger pleco.

+1 also, if you can find a good shop that you can trust, you will have that extra security knowing that fish you buy there are probably better cared for. However, never just rely on the word of any shop, even the good ones. There is no substitute for good research before you buy anything.

I did a search for "tropical fish orlando FL" and there are some with good reviews. Search around. It's a pretty plec, someone will be able to help you find it a good home. :)

siva said:
I did a search for "tropical fish orlando FL" and there are some with good reviews. Search around. It's a pretty plec, someone will be able to help you find it a good home. :)

Just did the same thing ha:) I'm gonna call the place closet to me tomorrow. It's a not a retail chain store which I really like.

A lot of the time the local non-chain places are a little more concerned about the welfare of the fish they sell. Especially fish stores that don't sell other pets. If they sell sick, unhealthy fish or make bad recommendations they lose business and many small places like that can't afford to lose business. They are often run by hobbyists as well, so there is generally a good level of knowledge at least for the owners. I have a wonderful hobbyist-owned shop in town, where the only employees are the husband and wife owners and sometimes their adult daughter helps out. They know many of their customers by name and remember who keeps what. She lets me know when she is getting new stock in, especially stuff she knows I'm interested in. She even knows where I work, where my boyfriend works, and asks about him whenever I go in without him. They kept my latest tank on hold for a month until we could pay it off, and stayed after closing time to help us load it in the car. There is also a pet store in my old hometown that I visit whenever I'm down there during the daytime because they have a topknotch aquarium section, fresh and salt. Never had a problem with their fish, and I've been known to make the hour long trip to get some fish. If you can find a good local store to take the Pleco I'm sure he will find a good home. Also, I think it would be nice of you to buy your brother a cool looking snail to replace the Pleco as an algae eater. If he is young, that might help him with the idea of taking one of his fish. This is also a good opportunity to teach him about being responsible for his pets and putting the needs of the animals he wants to keep ahead of what he wants to keep. This is, of course assuming a younger brother who still needs to learn these lessons. If you are both young, I'm sure your parents will appreciate you taking the responsibility to care for your pets and for teaching your brother about it.

Don't do this - it is considered illegal introduction of non native species. The least you'll get is a fine, and you'll have to live with the fact that you may have been responsible for introducing something into the ecosystem that ultimately causes the local ecosystem to fail. Take the fish back to the LFS, if they won't buy it back, explain that you don't have a tank large enough for it and that you would simply like to donate it back to the store.

Not to mention that plecos are considered an invasive species. I had a "FRIEND" pick up a SAE for me but the ill informed gave a pleco instead. So now I'm stuck with it. But I will remain commited to the hobby and the environment and see it through. It's a common mistake in this hobby/craft,
Someone needs an algae eater and ends up with a pleco... Just so happens that it is the prolific common type. Work with snails instead.

Back
Top Bottom