Has anyone else tried raffia ribbon for fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

btweak6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well since my optionals were limited for live plants in the small area I live in, I started looking online for other options. I came across raffia on a guppy blogspot. I have never heard of the stuff so I looked up more information on it. It is natural ribbon made from the raffia palm. I fould a spool of 60 feet for 1.99 at Hobby Lobby and decided to give it a try when my guppy was near birth. I curled a couple of feet and put one end under some decoration I have in the tank and let the rest float up. So it's a small mass of the curled ribbon from top to bottom in a corner of the tank. Well it works very well, my female only had five fry (first birth) and none have been eaten. It almost seems as if the fry come out to taunt all the other guppies and zoom back into the raffia to hide. :lol:

I've never heard of anyone doing this but it sounds like a great idea. Is the raffia stuff live or dead?

It's dried out, it comes in a spool just like ribbon in craft sections at stores.

Back
Top Bottom