Has anyone seen this before??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kandih20

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone ever seen this swollen lip before?! It just showed up over night? One of my older convicts has really swollen lips it's only on one side though the other side has not started to swell, he was fine when I checked them all last night before bed. He's not acting sick or anything an is still eating fine he's not showing any other signs of illness that I can see either. Every thing with the water is testing great so it's not the water quality? I don't know what it could be I can hardly find anything when I look it up. If anyone knows anything about this let me know please!

Kandi

Attachments

• image-3462649316.jpg
    image-3462649316.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 127
  • image-2156668404.jpg
    image-2156668404.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1275274003.jpg
    image-1275274003.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 129
Could be cotton mouth disease or an infection/fungus of the mouth

From what I read online, the most probable cause is that the fish with the swollen lips got into a scuffle with another fish. Someone recommended treating with aloe or salt.

Another thing I read was a disease called columnaris??? It's possible but I couldn't find any diagnostic pictures that matched your fish.

Sorry I can't help more.

I'm no expert but it may have been from "lip locking" you can look it upo on google or youtube to see it in action. From what I have read its a way to establish dominance or a mate.

I'm sorry but that's the ugliest convict I think I've ever seen!

Those lips sure are swollen. Doesn't look anything like the columnaris I've seen before. My fish have done plenty of lip locking and I've never seen lips like that.

Thanks for the input! Today all his lips are all swollen not just one side anymore! He isn't gasping for air but he is kinda staying in the top portion of the tank while the other big one stays below him. He is still eating just fine an still looks fine besides his lips! I added another fish the other day that seems to be chasing ALL my fish around an hes the tiniest thing I been trying to catch him to take him out because my tank was really peaceful until I added him! I did read about the columnaris as well but couldn't find pictures to match it looked way different. He was digging a whole lot before I just hope he didn't cut it an get something in it to infect it? But I cannot see any open wound at all.

image-2924019894.jpg

You should put him in another container and dose it with aquarium salt, you could leave him in there for a few hours and then return him to the tank. I would do this every few days

Back
Top Bottom