Hatching BrineShrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have any good Brine shrimp hatching methods using a 2 litter bottle or something.

I got a plan already but I just want to see how you guys do it, see if I can improve at all.

Step by Step is perfered please :D

Thanks in advance.

ah ha! I am currently hatching brine shrimp as I type. I use a small soda bottle, I don't remember what volume it is, but it's 1 step down from a 2lr...a water bottle works well too. A 2 lr is just way overkill unless you have a massive breeding operation.

1)select a bottle and clean it, remove the labeling if you want
2)cut off the BOTTOM of the bottle
3)screw on the cap tightly and place the bottle upside down into a cup so that it fits snuggly (the cup just keeps it standing, otherwise the bottle would be balanced on its cap)
4)fill with tepid water, my bottle takes about 5 cups of water, add dechlor if you want, it's not wholly necessary, I've read that buffering with baking soda can help as well, but I don't do it
5)I then add 3tsp...TEASPOONS...of salt, uniodized is best, but I find it'll work even with iodized, these guys are tough
6)connect your airline tubing to your pump and place the outlet of the tubing into the bottom of your container, it should be as close to your cap as possible so no eggs get stuck anywhere
7)add eggs, be careful. A little goes a LOOOONG way. I bought a 1lb container of eggs a few years back...I will never use all of these
8)place mixture under a light, a desk lamp works well
9)SECURE YOUR CUP. My cat has knocked over 2 or three of my brine shrimp batches...it's a mess. Place somethign heavy around the cup, I use dumbells
10)twiddle thumbs for 15 hours

Harvest time!
1)remove airline tubing
2)allow a few minutes for the water to settle
3)see the pinkish wiggly things? those are brine shrimp
4)take a turkey baster and suck up an area where they are concentrated, usually around the top
5)Squirt directly into fry tank
6)enjoy the carnage
7)put the tubing back into the container

With very yound fry, you can get by for a couple days before the BBS start to outgrow their mouths. When the fry get bigger, your batch of BBS can last 4 days or so before they begin to go bad. Make sure you keep your unused eggs in a cool dry place in a sealed container...I keep mine in the fridge.

yeah, I never pay attention to drink volume. I don't drink that many sodas, and when I do it's usually cans or fountain drinks

I drink quite a bit of pop (prob. shouldn't LOL) but normally it's always cans. I don't have a turkey baster or anything that does that kind of sucking thing so what else could I do?

Btw i'm going to just feed all my fish these so i'll prob. need to let the brine shrimp grow as big as I can before they get bad.

oh, in that case, you may want to use a larger container. I'm not experienced in growing them out larger. you will also probably have to feed the brine something. I really have no clue there.

As far as the turkey baster goes. Ask your mom to pick one up at walmart. I'm sure they can't cost more than a couple bucks

I'm new to this and still working on my own method but this has worked for me so far:

Mixed up a gal of my salt water with Aqurium Salt (already had it so I'm using it for now).

Put a heater on the bottom of a 5 gal tank and filled with about 3 inches of water. I've read and found that the hatch rate seems better with a little extra heat.

Placed 1 quart plastic container filled 2/3rds with salt water in the tank and added shrimp eggs.

Put airstone in it down towards the bottom and bubble it lightly.

Put lighted cover on and simmer till done! ;)

Use the turkey baster to suck up the concentrated BBS and filter in a shrimp net (fine cloth will work too).

Feed and watch the fry go crazy.

Using the 5 gal tank is handy because I can start another batch in another quart container while still feeding a hatched batch to the fry.

Using the turkey baster is a great tip. They are very handy for this plus cleaning the bare bottom of your fry tanks. Also good for starting a siphon hose so you don't accidentally get a mouthfull of yech. :rolleyes:

Have you guys ever got them to grow bigger by leaving them in a small tank ( 1 gal or less) before? I was surprized how tiny they were. My fish didnt even notice them right after they hatched.

Well this is what I am doing atm, it's my own way and it's been working so far, little over 24hours and I got some litte brine shrimp.

I have this small jar, don't know the amount of water it can hold, I have an airstone suction cupped to the bottom. I have a 5way vavle so I control it so it isn't super over powered, just enough to stir the eggs around. Before I had the eggs I put the salt in the jar with the airstone on full power, I put 3 teaspoons in the small jar. I wait for it to be pretty much dissolved, then I add the eggs. No exact measurement of eggs, just tap a little in with my fingers.

I then turn down the air and wait about 30-36hours, then I turn the air off and remove the tubbing.

I don't have a little turkey baster or sucker thing so I siphon with a spare air tubing thing into a tissue, it gets minimual salt water into the tanks and it's easy. I make sure I get just the regular tissues and not the lotion ones so it doesn't effect the water at all. Just being safe :D

It's been working for a couple of weeks and my fish love the live food.

I personally don't bother filtering the shrimp. With the tiny volume of salt water you are putting in there, as long as you are keeping up with your waterchanges you should be fine.

Always rinse the nauplii, you do not want hatching water in your displays. You can purchase a brine shrimp net suitable for nauplii for about $3.00 at most lfs.

Have you guys ever got them to grow bigger by leaving them in a small tank ( 1 gal or less) before? I was surprized how tiny they were. My fish didnt even notice them right after they hatched.

I did a little research on this a while back and it seems it's not worth the trouble. As small as BBS are, what can you feed them?

From what I can tell the BBS are usually for feeding fry in the early stages. It's small and high in protien, and angle fry especially like it.

I get larger size frozen shrimp for my adult fish and haven't had any turn their noses away from that. :p

What is the point of using the upside down bottle?

It seems like any container that is roughly the right size would do just fine, and perhaps even be more stable.

Back
Top Bottom