Hate being right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsdsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my love of fish has rubbed off on a few coworkers, and 3 of them gave gotten their own tanks.

Well one of them bought a nice 55g tank for some goldfish. She told me over and over that she did not need to do water changes. The tank is " only a few weeks old". This week she started losing fish. Big time. If course she set it up and added 10 goldfish.

I told her over and over to do regular WC. She did not listen. Then they started getting red spots on their fins and dying. Today I took her my Master Test kit. She just called me in tears, " I am frying my fish!!!!" Her NitrItes are through the roof, her fish are hiding and not eating.

Told her to do a big WC, test tomorrow and call me with results. Also warned her that thus would be the routine for at least the next week. She us rightfully horrified. Sometimes not knowing us bliss, but she is not one to allow an animal to suffer. So she feels terrible.

Long story short. Any suggestions as to whether she should start antibiotics? Or just up the WC? The lady at Petsmart, told her to change her filter media, I told her not to.

Besides WC, anything else she should do?

Sorry for being long winded. But it's tough being the " expert" when I am a newbie as well.

She should've listened to you but I would just monitor it closely after a water change

Ten goldfish? How many does she still have?

A 55 can comfortably provide good housing for 3-4 fancy goldfish - not the comet feeder fish. They need a pond.

If she has more than 3-4 fish, she needs to rehome. I don't see how even multiple daily water changes in a 55 can keep 10 goldfish alive for very long.

Water changes, water changes, water changes- that is her only option in the interim. Make sure she temperature matches and properly conditions the new water. Lots of Prime and do not change the filter media. Don't even touch it. No meds as they are sick from being in an uncycled, overstocked tank with high toxin levels.

This is really only a temporary bandaid to the situation. As Sharpchivk mentioned, ten goldfish of any type is way too many for a 55g. Your friend will need to make a decision in respect to returning or rehoming a good portion of her fish (depending on type). Please ask if you have questions!

Back
Top Bottom