have i been mislead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garpsmom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello to all and thanks in advance.First let me say this site is awesome..thanks so much for it.OK..I have a brand new 75 gal fowlr.The plan was to buy LR uncured.Luckily, LFS called said have cured for same price.Apparently a friend was breaking down tank, here you go.Great deal.But the guy, an actual marine biologist,said tank would be ready for fish almost immediately.So it was running with live sand and water for about 3 weeks, LR added 1/28.Tests are 0 amm,0 nitrite and 10 nitrate.Ammonia never spiked.So I added 10 snails and 10 hermits yesterday.Doing great on some algae that started.Just want to make sure before I add a fish..don't want a casualty.And if I do still have to cycle,can cuc stay in??I NEVER had any ammonia show, tested every day.

If your LR was already cured then you might not see the cycle. I would give it a few more days.

From my understanding, your cycle might not show like normal. Instead of an ammonia spike, your PH will just have a quick drop.. usually the sign of a completed cycle.

So I shouldn't mess with it? No raw shrimp? My 1st sw (obviously) but have had fresh over 10 yrs..like pets,don't want to kill my son's 1st Nemo!

I'm not sure where the PH advice comes from but I'm onboard with Melosu. Test for the next day or 2. If you don't see any ammonia or nitrite then you're good to go. If you do, continue testing. If you don't plan on adding fish right away remember to add an ammonia source to feed the bacteria.

FWIW I've never had or heard of a PH drop a the end of a cycle. Your PH may flucuate during the cycle but I'm not sure about a big drop indicating the end. Could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

pH drop makes sense, since ammonia is a base. CO2 dissolved in water forms a weak acid. Once the ammonia goes bye bye, CO2 effect is predominant. Hopefully LR would be a nice alkaline buffer in the end.

I agree with Mike and Captain...give it a few days and test and see what you get then test again to make sure. No sense in rushing and causing the death of fish and slowing down the process as well as loosing money. Take your time and enjoy the process.

pH drop makes sense, since ammonia is a base. CO2 dissolved in water forms a weak acid. Once the ammonia goes bye bye, CO2 effect is predominant. Hopefully LR would be a nice alkaline buffer in the end.

I guess that works if all you have is H2O, ammonia and CO2

Back
Top Bottom