Have You ever seen Your Cories Eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxtrot1027

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a few spotted Cories in my Goldfish tank. they've been in there for months and have grown to about 1-1/2 inch. I have never seen them actually eat! I feed them sinking shrimp pellets, sinking granules etc. The food makes it past the Goldies so they must be eating sometime. Are they nocturnal feeders or just have shy table manners.

My bronze cories must little piggies then, because it seems like all they do is eat! When they aren't playing around they are scavenging the bottom for food. At night when I drop in algae wafers or shrimp pellets, they go berserk. And it doesn't seem to matter whether or not the light is on.

My cories are the same. They are very active and eat whether the lights are on or not. As long as their bellies seem full and aren't sunken at all they should be getting enough to eat.

Bryan

I guess mine are just shy. I only have two in there, should I get a couple more because everything Ive read says they like to be in groups? They are healthy and growing though.

When mine come across a shrimp pellet they go crazy eating it.

What is your tank setup like. You say goldfish, what is the tank size and temp set at?

Corys typically do better in groups of three or more. Get some frozen bloodworms and, using a piece of clear tubing, allow them to sink to the bottom. That should be enough to put any cory in a feeding frenzy. It's also a great food for them.

29 Gal planted tank with lots of hiding spots. They are Florida born and raised so the tank temp never really varies from about 76 deg to 78. Just checked it and its about 77 now. They do like to swim around with the Goldfish. Ive predominately raised fancy goldfish so the Cories are new to me.

I got canned bloodworms but as you would guess the Goldfish are such eating machines they never make it. Ill give it a try, the Cories hide in the back when I see em so maybe they do need a couple more friends to liven them up.

The thing to remember as well is that corys are in fact quite shy. If I am watching my cories pig out, and I move a lot in front of the tank, they hide.

That makes sense. My 3 Goldfish are constantly going crazy when they see me walk in so maybe the Cories get spooked. Can you mix different Cories and will they group together the same. I have a hard time finding spotted Cories but I see bronze, Albino, green all the time.

Ideally you would have all the same, but in the end they are all quite friendly with each other. The spotted ones tend to be the smallest but the others aren't too much bigger. I have 1 spotted cory and he mixes well with the bronze and albino (albino's are bronze).

There is also a complete sinking tablet food. I like to mix it in to the food rotation for my cories so they get a varied diet. Tetra makes it.

I have a few difference species in my 46 gallon and for the most part they all school together. They don't play together as much as my bronze corys in my 10 gallon, but they eat together and rest together.

Just got back from my lfs and they had 1 spotted Corey that was the same size as my other 2. I put him in and they are all sittin the corner checkin each other out.

my cories pig out a lot but i think my goldie uses them to judge where there is food in the gravel so I always dump some in the bushes.

My guys aren't shy at all, the goldie is kinda huge in comparison so they do get spooked by him sometimes but not much, one sat on his fin once.

Back
Top Bottom