Hazy water and whitish translucent film on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
This is my first post and I'm kind of excited about it. I started my tank in late January, waited for it to cycle with an Aqueon backfilter. About two weeks later I purchased an Emporer 280 and it seems to be working well. Sorry, my tank is 29g, plastic plants, gravel substrate, South African root wood, and 13 fish, community tank. So, the tank has been running about a month and a half, bio wheel for almost three weeks, fish added once a week, weekly water changes of 20 to 40%. I test the water weekly and Amonia, Nitrite are zero and Nitrate is 5 - 10 ppm. I have started daily water changes of 20 - 40 %. I also had a PhosBan 150 on the back filled with activated charcoal and Zeolite. This made the water too cloudy so I took it down.
The problem, the water has always been hazy and still is. I noticed last night during a water change that there was a whitish film on the glass and it is slimy to the touch. The only chemical I use in the tank is API Stress Coat+. I have had people tell me to do a gravel wash and other people tell me not to do so, both for various reasons. I am frustrated with the constant hazy water and now worried about the whitish film.
Not sure what to do, I could really use some advice. All is appreciated.

Is the hazy water milky white in color, or greenish, or brownish? It can tough to tell by looking straight at the tank, but if you put some water in a clear glass and set it on top of white paper, you can tell for sure. Different colors mean different things.

The film, if it is on the top of the glass at the surface, is fairly common for a new setup. There are a lot of organics that will leech out of new gravel and especially wood. It will eventually go away.

Thanks

Thanks guys, the film is mid to bottom levels and started where my bio wheel discharges across the tank.

Back
Top Bottom