Heading to LFS soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremy S.

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need some opinions on some critters that will help eat up my hair algae.

I'm thinking Turbo Snails, or Lettuce Sea slug?

What would you recommend? I'm working on a small budget today so I'm just going to pick up a couple of whatever I decide.

Also I have the route cause of the hair algae taken care of. I added my GFO reactor the other day so that should take care of phosphate. I'm just looking for some help cleaning up the mess now.

I need opinions soon because Ill be at the LFS in a few hours.

Turbos will do a lot of work but are very clumsy and could knock stuff over. The lettuce nudis also have a big appetite too but they will starve much easier then the turbos and are much more pricey.

My DT is a 40g breeder what would be a good number of turbo? And my LFS has Lettuce slugs for around $15 I think. Ill have to double check prices when I get there.

I wouldn't add any more to my tank even as they die but i started with 5 in my 46 so if your corals and rockwork is pretty well fastened then I'd go with 4-6

My rock work is stable and my corals are on a egg crate rack across my tank for propagating.

I already have emerald crabs and they don't touch the hair algae. From my experience my emerald crabs enjoyed the cyano out break when I had just set up my tank.

When I was battling a major hair algae outbreak, I had to manually remove it prior to water changes. This still wasn't enough to get ahold of things, so I added a lawnmower blenny and by this time my GFO arrived in the mail.

With all of this and using straight distilled currently due to ro/di being down, I still have algae that creeps up. I should post a pic of the stuff growing on the side of the tank in my refugium, pretty nuts. But I still have algae in my tank that is pretty annoying at times. I have 2 lettuce nudibranches coming with my new CUC. They should have a field day. Keep in mind taht CUC's are replaceable. Due to several factors...mostly my hermits eating all the snails...I look at refreshing a CUC in a tank about 6 months.

I just picked up a sea hare from the LFS. They didn't have any turbo snails and a few guys I talked to said the Sea hare will probably do well.

I've heard :/. It should be fine. My tank is mature at almost 1.5 years old and all of my levels are great. Sound good to y'all?

He's acclimated and already destroying hair algae. This guy is so ugly it's cute and he's so active he's fun to watch.

Jeremy S. said:
He's acclimated and already destroying hair algae. This guy is so ugly it's cute and he's so active he's fun to watch.

lol. I used to think sea hares were nasty lil things until i got one for myself. Theyre funny to watch with their little bunny ears.

Question...do sea hares normally cruise near the top of the tank at night? Mines at the back at the top and he keeps poking his head out of the water.

He looks fine just had me worried for a minute.

Back
Top Bottom