Head's 29G Biocube journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with spoonman... No water changes during cycle... Do one water change about two days before you add your first fish to the tank... And don't worry about diatoms etc. They are supposed to come and go during the cycle process as try are indicators that your cycle process is working.

spoonman said:
I disagree. Changing water during the cycle takes away the things that you need in there for the bacteria to develop. Why would you dose ammonia then change water and take it out?

The only thing needed for bacteria to complete the cycle is ammonia. Doing a water change does not eliminate ammonia and does not slow or stop the process.

I have cycled 7 tanks this way and all very fast. I start the water changes when i see first signs of nitrate.

Yes im aware of that however getting rid of them and excess ammonia does not slow down, stop, or prevent a cycle. And the end goal is zero nitrates and to achieve that you have to do water changes anyway so doing water changes can actually speed up the process not slow it down or prevent it.

Anyone who understands the nitrogen cycle and aerobic/anaerobic bacteria can figure this out. Ive done it plenty of times, my tanks dont lie.

Ok u can't argue since you have got results so I am going to try it with my new 90 gal I am going to set up. So it is the same 20% every week once nitrates increase right?

Yeah once you see nitrates start the weekly water changes, the initial cycle is complete no further growth of bacteria is a achieved, they simply convert the existing ammonia and nitrite into nitrate. At that point water changes speed the remaining cycle so a fish or coral can be added by ridding the water of the remaining nitrate and all nitrite, ammonia is gone.

My last tank i cycled i had a fish and softies in the tank in less than 2 weeks and no problems. Just have to take it slow like everything else.

Does this mean your tank will cycle in 2 weeks? Absolutely not, it just explains how it will not prolong the cycle compared to no water changes. Hope thats understandable.

Best advise is to use Ro/di bottom line. It can work with tap if its good enough but it will work way better and no risk with rodi.

:confused: I would not state no risk. I have seen a lot of RODI setups that have worst issues than on many tap water systems. No point discussing this any further since the OP bought an RO unit.

Ok got some more rock, here it is so far also got some hitchikers can anyone tell me what the last 3 pics are of. thank you

1432q0z.jpg

2uj2ut5.jpg

4rvwnp.jpg

2mwyqu0.jpg

2i7pn3q.jpg

The green one looks like a mushroom. The second one is Kenya tree. The third is ricordea. I like the rock work.

Those are some pretty good scores for hitchhikers!!! Good call on pics 4&5. I think pic 3 could also be a minimaxi or maybe even a real small saddle or carpet anemone.
Ricordia go for $10-15 a mushroom!! I want rock from your dealer!! :)

what kind of lighting do each of these need? and are they all photosynthetic?

Yup, all photosynthetic. Med- low light, except for the possible anemone, if it is a nem than med-high light and low flow for all.
I can't believe you got that on your rock!! Did you buy it out of someone's tank, or at a store?

I got it at a lfs They were taking down a tank that they had setup and they knew the ricordea was on there but not the green one, the kenya trees were all over the rocks and they didnt care as well.... Do these move at all to find their own area or do i need to position the rocks in a certain manner for them

The ricordea can go from mid to low in ur tank. B careful with the Kenya tree it can get out of hand really fast. B4 u know it ur whole tank will b full of it. And the green one is hard to identify can u get a better pic.

Back
Top Bottom