Heater for a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connorilles14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering real quick what a suitable heater for a 10 gallon tank would be, is there a preferred brand that most people go for? I seen at my local walmart they has a heater for a 10 gallon tank for 12 bucks. It's a top fin I believe. Should I buy this or should I look for something better?

I have bought that cheap WalMart heater and never had an issue with it. Some of those small, cheap heaters don't have an adjustable dial, and just set the tank at 78 degrees. I never personally had a problem with that, and it worked fine and is cheap. If you can afford one with an adjustable dial, go for that. If you are on a serious budget, that cheap Top Fin one worked fine for me for years until I sold it off with that particular tank. JME.

Just wondering real quick what a suitable heater for a 10 gallon tank would be, is there a preferred brand that most people go for? I seen at my local walmart they has a heater for a 10 gallon tank for 12 bucks. It's a top fin I believe. Should I buy this or should I look for something better?

I highly recommend the TopFin company. I recently bought one of their heaters and it works fine. Pretty low cost to. Found in petsmart.

Get the next size up. Make sure its 10-20 heater, because that 10gal wallyworld heater isn't that hot imho.

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

Not sure if I had a freak experience or not, but I have had 2 topfin, and 2 aqueon heaters fail on me. They each became permanently turned on, heating my tanks to 88+ degrees, even when turned to the lowest temp setting (67). The only thing I could do to stop it was to unplug them. When I first got one of the topfin heaters, it wiped out a whole batch of 40-50 Molly fry within 6 hours, as if it released some toxic chemicals or something. Now I only use fluval heaters. Again, I might just have bad luck with heaters. I have never heard of anyone else having such bad experiences- so you might be fine with the topfin brand.

I would get one that is recommended for more water, and has an adjustable thermostat. This way if you ever have ich you can turn up the temp to cure the problem. Also, you can get fish that want warmer water and if you get a bigger tank you can move it to that tank. Spend the money now and you will be happy you did. Of course, if you are on a tight budget I can't tell you how to spend your money.

Back
Top Bottom