heater for salt mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coffeetwitch

Aquarium Advice Addict
what is everyone using to heat their salt mixes up? tap water here is 60-65*f. i dont want to run hot water through my ro/di filter.

seems like it takes forever for my fluval m 300w to get it up to temp. that and its glass (worried about it breaking) and its not fully submersible.

I mix mine in a 10g tank for right now. I usually let my RO/DI water sit out and get up to room temp, then put it in the 10g and start mixing... once the cheap little glass thermometer gets matched to the water temp, I plug it in and let it mix overnight.

and what sort of set up where you looking to upgrade to?

ive got a 20 gallon brute. one can is not enough to do a 10% water change on both of the 40 breeders we have. and certainly lacking on the 125. was thinking about getting a 55gallon brute for the salt mix and keeping the 20 for freshwater.

i can only imagine how long it would take to heat that up.

I use a 32g brute can for my setup right now. I am gonna be buying a new RO/DI unit very soon and was going to get another brute trash can and setup a real water making station. LOL I use one whole brute full of water for my 125g and another brute full for the rest of my tanks. I also keep 4 5g jugs of plain water stored in a closet indoors where its warm enough to use in an emergency. Hope i was somewhat helpful. :)

In fact right now I'm mixing water in the brute for some mad water changes in a few hours and I have a aqueon 250w heater that i put in when I put in the salt this morning and a koralia 750 mixing it. It seems to take less than 2-3 hours for the whole can to achieve my set temperature which is about 15-20 degrees warmer than the starting temperature of the water.

i guess my heater takes about 3-4 hours to heat up my 20 gallon brute. i was looking at a jager 200w or 150w heater today. said it can be mounted horizontally. figured that would be better for me if i started heating when the water level was really low. and when i get that 44 gallon brute ive been eye balling it would still work for that.

sound like a plan?

I am using a rubbermaid 20gal. tote for my R/O water then when I mix my salt I store it in a 32gal rubbermaid brute trash can. I have a koralia 550 in it for circulation and a 150 watt heater in the bottom and it sits overnight to mix before I can put it in the tank. The heater after 24 hours has the 32gal trash can up to 80 degrees. Works out great.

Back
Top Bottom