heater issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I bought a 500w titanium heater with a controller a few months back. It's working and I have my tank at 82°. My problem is, I'm going to be getting discus tomorrow and I want the temp to be around 85-86°. I turned up the controller but it just doesn't seem to get the water any higher than 82°. Any suggestions??

I don't see why a 500w couldn't take that tank to every bit of 88 degrees unless you keep a very cool home but you may need to get a 100w to get those last few degrees but like I said it kinda baffles me your 500w won't do the job

Mrc8858 said:
I don't see why a 500w couldn't take that tank to every bit of 88 degrees unless you keep a very cool home but you may need to get a 100w to get those last few degrees but like I said it kinda baffles me your 500w won't do the job

Well I may just not have it turned up enough I dunno, guess I'll fiddle around with it later today lol

What is the temperature difference between the room temp and your desired water temp? Chances are you are going to need two heaters for that size tank.

Edit: is this a model with the separate temp probe? If so, make sure that it is as far away from the element as the cord will reach. Also, make sure that it is not above the element. The best position for a heater of that type would be in a horizontal orientation in an area that has good flow with the temp probe under the element as far as it will stretch.

blert said:
What is the temperature difference between the room temp and your desired water temp? Chances are you are going to need two heaters for that size tank.

Edit: is this a model with the separate temp probe? If so, make sure that it is as far away from the element as the cord will reach. Also, make sure that it is not above the element. The best position for a heater of that type would be in a horizontal orientation in an area that has good flow with the temp probe under the element as far as it will stretch.

No temp probe, it has a controller but it doesn't display the temp. I have a thermometer in the tank in the far corner.

My apartment has been having AC issues so the apartment has been around 80-85° for the past few days so no difference there.

I guess I could position one of my filter nozzles toward the heater to give it better flow?

DanS180 said:
I guess I could position one of my filter nozzles toward the heater to give it better flow?

Good flow around the heater is important.

Turning the filter nozzles toward the heater seemed to help :) went up another 2 degrees :)

Back
Top Bottom