Heaters!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polly91

Aquarium Advice Regular
How often should aquarium heaters be replaced???
Im trying to increase the temperature of my tank at the moment but its staying around 24, even though i have set both heaters in my tank to 28.
Ive had the heaters for around 3-4 years and was wondering if im in need of new heaters???

Do you have an internal mercury thermometer? If not you could get one (they are very cheap), just don't get the strip ones, and compare it to what you set the heater to. If it's way off, then it might be time for a new one. Although I find 1-2 degree difference from what the heater is set to and what the thermometer reads is fairly normal as the heaters aren't exact. Also what size tank and what's the wattage of the heater? It's possible it's too small for the tank size; or do you have more than one?

I've found that my heater's setting dial must be set higher than the temperature I want the water to be. For example, my heater must be set for 83 F in order to heat the water to 80 F /26 C. In order to heat the water to 82 F, I must set the thermometer dial to 85 F. My heater is a new Aquaeon 50 Watt (sufficient for a 20 gallon) in a 10 gallon.

Heater internal thermometers are often a few degrees off -- higher or lower. So maybe try setting your heaters to 29 C or 30 C and see if the water temperature increases.

To be safe, increase water temperature slowly at the rate of 1 degree F per 12 hours.

If you can turn your heater up until a thermometer measured degree is attained and then mark it on the heater somehow, it is called indexing your heater.

In a perfect world 80 would be 80. But, rarely are heaters accurate with their index. Once you index the heater to an actual measured temperature, they should be fairly accurate incrementally. However, it is recommended to always index your heater. Some of the nicer heaters have the ability to change the index for the variation.

Mine, for instance, has a 6 degree swing in the pointer that I can change. But, it is off even more than I can move the pointer. I have it set to the lowest variable and I put a sticker on top of the heater that says +2. That means if I want it 80, I set it to 82.

Hope that helps,

You basically only need to replace heaters once they are broken and dot work anymore. Whats your tank size and wattage of heaters?

Yeh I have a proper thermometer!I have 2 300 watt heaters in a 300 liter (80g) tank

Alright i think
That's good cause I have a 200w in ky 50gad works perfect so I'm sure your heaters will heat up unless thy broken .

Yeh because both heaters are set at 30 but the temp won't budge and stays around 25-26.that's why I'm concerned.

Yeh because both heaters are set at 30 but the temp won't budge and stays around 25-26.that's why I'm concerned.

What is your room temp around I'm not sure if this can greatly affect the temp of the water but maybe get new heaters

Turned up one Of the heaters in the tank yesterday and my temp went up overnight to 28 so that's good!

Well what temp is good for killing white spot?that's my aim

If you are talking about ich, you should try to get above 86 degrees F, or 30 C. Hold it there 10 days to 2 weeks. Keep on eye on your fish and do partial water changes every day or two, cleaning the substrate if you can. Increase surface agitation since warmer waters will yield less oxygen.

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom