Hello, and thanks for all the fish (advice)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfraggle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After reading these forums for a few weeks, I finally thought I'd join. I wanted to thank everyone for all the advice they gave to others, which I've read and benefited from - you all have helped me get my tank straightened out and taught me that patience and and clean water is really the best medicine for most situations. I've found much better advice here then at my lfs - my favorites being, "Oh yeah, after 3 days your tank is totally cycled!" and "Your replacing your entire filter setup? Your fish will be fine if the tank is established." Ugh.

Well, after facerolling through the cycling of my 5 gallon, I've learned a lot. One of the most important things I learned is that 5 gallons is just too small for anything I want to accomplish. I want to go bigger, but how big is too big? I was thinking something like a 50 gallon planted. I want to start out with medium light and no CO2, with the option to upgrade if my green thumb kicks in. Is that too ambitious for a relative newbie like me? I love to read and research, so please point me to any articles or references you think would be helpful.

Thanks!

I don't think that's to abitious at all. You don't even need special lights for lower light plants (And I am a proponent of Morimo "moss" balls). You've obviously found out about cycling the same way I did.

The five galleon would probobly be a servicable quarantine tank, however, so if you have it cycled and haven't tore it down you have that!

I like using small aquariums for planted setups, no fish. I keep snails and sometimes shrimp in there to maintain it. Although observers are often quite puzzled by aquariums that are not fish tanks.

Back
Top Bottom