Hello everybody

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rm86100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody, I am new here. My wife and I have just recently started on this hobby or saltwater tanks. We recently started a 10 gal 2 months ago and we have had no issues and everything has worked great!.

We are ready to get something a little bigger and need your advise.

We are planning on setting up a 38 gallon tank which is about 36" wide I think. In this one I want to have fish, and some anemones and possibly corals. What lighting do you think would be good. I was thinking something T5.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks alot
-Ricardo

Well, your a far way from nems because they need tanks to be mature, and usually thats about 5-6 months once the tank has been established. Corals and fish are all doable. ;) And yeah, T5 lighting would be great for a tank like that.

WELCOME!! TO AA!!

Welcome to AA! :)

I agree that you will need to likely wait to add any nem. Also for lighting I'd think 6 bulb T5 or halide is the way to go. Not sure though...

Yeah i was thinking the same thing, but since its a smaller tank, do you think they could get away with smaller light? Maybe like a 2 bulb PC fixture and a 2 bulb T5? Idk.. it really all depends on what they want.

Thanks for the advise so far. I know its hard to take on a hobby like this and try to keep cost down. Does anybody know of a good website where I can get the most bang for my buck?

Thanks in advance

WOW! I just did a search in charlotte, NC and you have the mother load of equipment at your dispersal for good prices on craigslist. Its only a 7 hour drive for me...I might go instead...lol
just go to craigslist.org and search "aquarium"

Aquacave.com is a nice place. Plus their shipping is like 4$. Theres other places like marineandreef.com that have free shipping for orders over 150$ Premiumaquatics.com Just some places i can think of off the top of my head.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing, but since its a smaller tank, do you think they could get away with smaller light? Maybe like a 2 bulb PC fixture and a 2 bulb T5? Idk.. it really all depends on what they want.

The shorter the bulb, the lower the output. A Nem is going to require quite a lot of light.

rm86100- Check out your local reef club. Chances are that you can find good used equipment locally.

I have those. I quite like them. They do well for me. I haven't looked into putting a nem under them yet. Everything else seems to be doing fantastic though.

Thank you everybody for your input, it has been a big help. If anybody can think of any other that might be good or ones to stay away from please let me know

-Ricardo

I have told if u r new to saltwater/reef, its better to get the biggest tank u can get. since the smaller tank u have, the more time u need to check on the paraM.

I would take the time to start cycle the tank, and at least let the tank settle for about 6months before u add anemones, maybe more depend on your paraM.
and for corals, all the pros r helping u on the light, so I will tag alone LOL.
but as AMD told me before, the light is all depend on wt u r keeping.
maybe get a list of what u want to keep then go look for the light?
^^

I believe this is actually the new Odyssea MH line

but still as HN1 said, avoid!!!

Same thing... Jebo Odyssea. lol

Google the search term "Jebo Odyssea Lighting" and read the reviews and forum posts. Then make up your own mind. I would NEVER allow one to run in my home though. That's my personal choice after researching and listening to firsthand accounts of issues.

I have an Odyssea T5HO but it had to be modified for extra cooling and to accept normal sized bulbs. The MH systems they make have been known to support your corals well, untill it burns down your house.

Back
Top Bottom