Hello Everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coralocean

Aquarium Advice Freak
Greetings!

I just set up a 29 gallon freshwater tank with plans for some community fish after cycling. It's been 10 years since I have had a tank. I was a single mother and my son LOVED fish (so do I) so we set up various size tanks mostly cichlids. We had a small saltwater at one time, but the last tank was a 75 gallon as my son fell in love with a tiny Oscar that grew to be about 13" long. She lived for about 5 years before jumping out of the tank :( (Please no lectures, it was a family member who left the lid open.)

So here I am again doing a tank for myself. I live in a different city and the water is so hard the little bubbles left deposits in my tank in 24 hours. I went to the local fish expert and he said they use RO water and I can buy his water at 79 cents per gallon. (I cannot lift the huge container, so that's out. lol)

I also asked for some sponge or gravel to help start the cycle and he said that was very "old school" and suggested I use the stuff in a bottle to do a fishless cycle. (Their tanks are amazing, crystal clear healthy fish!) I think I'm going to stay old school..buying the test kit tomorrow (API Master). I read the entire post on using pure ammonia, feeling shaky about that.

Peace - Coral.

Welcome to AA! I like the old school cycling method; somewhat skeptical of the bottled solutions. That’s too bad about your tap water. Amazon is having a sale on the API FW Master kit ($21.24 prime eligible).

welcome.

never tried the insta-cycle bottles either. I guess they can work, but I learned to be patient enough to cycle the long way - no ammonia (which works too tbh), just feed the tank a little every day. strange he can't give you a piece of media though...

as for water it is indeed a problem I'd hate to have. in your situation I think I would consider purchasing a simple RO filter, just for the convenience of not running with gallons of water from the store.

good luck!

EDIT,
I actually noticed your location. chances are we are using water from the same big lake of Michigan. so yes, it is hard water (and I guess it is possible yours is harder), but its not to much of a problem - running from tap here, unmodified. so far not to bad. we even had a local discus breeder running on tap water.

Hello and thanks!

I rent a very nice basement apartment and it has only a bar sink in the kitchen. My landlord has been contemplating a whole house RO system. Maybe I will poke them a little LOL. If not I will look into my own RO there is a plumber in the family :). It's going to be a while though.

In the mean time I added the ammonia -omg. Have you ever done something really stupid? I never used the API Master test kit before and I did not read the directions. I used only bottle #1 of ammonia and kept getting ZERO. So I must have added 6ML of the stuff and ammonia went off the charts. I had to drain the tank about 60% to get to 4ppm.
Lesson Learned.

I see you are in the Chicago area also! Stay warm.

Back
Top Bottom