Hello fellow fish lovers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJFlanders

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm not new to aquariums or to keeping fish, but one can never know all that much because the world of aquariums and fish is so vast.
I started my small aquarium again for my grand kids, but really that was just an excuse.
Now I've been trying some new fish and expanded my aquarium with other aquatic creatures.

This post is about my new fellow, sadly down to one now, the Mystery snail. This one looks just "okay" but I think he or she's got problems like the last. The shell seems to be deteriorating. I saw a post where the used Tums to help resolve the need of calcium. Then they said it's usually because the aquarium is too acidic but mine is not.
Anyway, I thought I'd try 1/2 a Tums.
Please let me know if I am going down the wrong path.
Thanks,
JJ

Welcome!

Good to use the GK's as an excuse for a tank.

The link for the getting started article in my signature has some very useful info about keeping a stable tank. Including the nitrification cycle.

Not sure about the Tums.

Many tank keepers will use a Cuttlebone, plain, no colors, flavors or additives. It will float for a couple weeks, more or less, and add after a rinse off, hard shell to the air and soft side to the water.

The Snails will nom at it when they want to. After it sinks I just set it behind decorations at the back area of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom