Hello Fish lovers, - advice welcomed please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scubatom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Firstly howedy,
I am new here, I have updated my profile so you should see all the info you need.

I have had fish before, well I have when I was younger and it was really my dads but I did a lot of helping.

Im now 27 married and my wife and I have just got a new fluval edge 46 litre tank.

My question is this, I have 2 x Dwarf gwarmis, 1 x red tail shark, 5 x neon tetras and 3 x male guppies.

My problem is 1 of my male guppies is forever at the top of the tank, he seems just to slowly move around waving his tail well more like loads of ripples. their are no obious signs of any damage to fins or gills, no marks, not breathing any differently to the others but he is there all the time. He may venture down to sleep (I have seen this once) and if another guppy goes towards him, well he tells them to go away, or he just glides beside them (but I am sure they are going to meet him just to rest and they are back down swimming happily).
He does eat, I use a mixture of frozen tables that have lots of treats as well as flakes, I like to mix it up for happy fish. If I tap the tank he shoots off but stays at the top and then moving slowly around again.

I dont have a test kit but I have had everything checked, more than once! I have had the tank for 1 month, I let it cycle, I add pure aquariam bacterial balls to keep the tank crystal clear, I so a 25% water change once a week with conditioner, very minimum nitrates, ph is perfect, Each fish were added seperaly, all 3 guppies 1 week later 2 x gwarmis, then the red tail, then the neons.

Any help or advice would be grand, I have read so much but nothing really comes close to what is happening. :thanks: in advance, Scuba Tom
ps I attached a picture

Attachments

• Fish tank.jpg
    Fish tank.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 333
Welcome. The red tailed shark really needs a much bigger tank as it gets relatively large (for a 48l) and depending on the individual can often be very aggressive/territorial. All the best with the tank.

Thank you, I have posted on sick fish collum.
I am aware the red tail will grow to 6 inches, he is not aggressive luckily, he is very friendly and lives in harmoney with the rest, I think keeping them well fed and giving them plenty of rest is good for them.

Understood. Keeping him well fed will also increase the rate at which the fish will grow and produce waste.

Thank you, very true and feedback most welcomed, Will the filter not clean the waste and the weekly water changes help with a clean and happy tank. If he gets to big we will have to get a larger tank which has always been my plan. I could always move this tank into our office and the new tank where this one is. Cant wait, I love fish

Welcome. The red tailed shark really needs a much bigger tank as it gets relatively large (for a 48l) and depending on the individual can often be very aggressive/territorial. All the best with the tank.

+ 1: I have a red tailed shark. He is not aggressive, but he is in a 55g tank. I did a conversion and your tank is only a little over 12g. Some people have even told me that a 55 is to small for them. I'm a big believer in "your tank is your tank" but personally I believe the shark will feel crowded and become aggressive as it grows. Aggressive doesn't mean it will eat your smaller fish, it means it will bully them, hide, and possibly kill. This is seriously the first time I have ever said this, but IMO you should return the shark or rehome it to a much bigger tank. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, they are very neat fish.

+ 1: I have a red tailed shark. He is not aggressive, but he is in a 55g tank. I did a conversion and your tank is only a little over 12g. Some people have even told me that a 55 is to small for them. I'm a big believer in "your tank is your tank" but personally I believe the shark will feel crowded and become aggressive as it grows. Aggressive doesn't mean it will eat your smaller fish, it means it will bully them, hide, and possibly kill. This is seriously the first time I have ever said this, but IMO you should return the shark or rehome it to a much bigger tank. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, they are very neat fish.

Thanking you kindly. I will have to do that then.

Back
Top Bottom