Hello! I'm new. From Houston.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bekah_89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My name is Rebekah. I followed a link to this site from another posting, and I thought how wonderful it is to have a site like this to discuss keeping an aquarium. I currently have a 29 gallon tank with 4 goldfish, and i'm hoping to upgrade to a 55 gal or better. Thanks to anyone for any advice in this area. :fish2:

Welcome to the forum! Btw... I hate Houston! Lol, I passed through a few months back and got terribly lost for like 3 hours and someone ran a red and hit me and left the scene. Bent my rear axle, and I still had to make it to Austin and back. I have quite a few friends there, though.

Also, I would upgrade to more than a 55 if I were you. Te general rule for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 more for each after that, but that applies best for young fish. They will eventually outgrow those "requirements" as they can get huge. If you have common or comet goldfish, a very large tank or pond will be required. There is a great sticky on the coldwater section of the forum showing just how big fancy goldfish can get.

Thanks so much for the advice

:thanks:Sorry to hear about your bad experience here, Its not too bad once you get used to it :) I was hoping for a 55 gallon, I have one oranda and three fantails, they are fairly small at the moment. Do you have any suggestions as for what type of tank would be best for them, I have done a lot of research on them to figure out how to best take care of them, but this is the first webpage that actually gives practical advice. When I got started keeping the fish the petstore employee told me 5 gallons was good for one fish. So I assumed that 29 was good for four! Also does anyone know what brand and type of filter works well?

I'm no goldfish expert, but I can tell you the best plan is to go as big as you can afford/fit in your house. Goldfish are super messy and can get very big. Also, a filter that moves 10x the tank volume per hour is recommended. So for a 55 you would want filtration totaling at least 550 gallons per hour. Canister filters are a good idea for larger tanks, and fluval and eheim are two brands I have heard lots of good things about. I use marineland filters on two of my tanks and I like them a lot. Aquaclear is a good brand too.

A 55 would be fine for a while for 4 fancy goldfish, but a 75 would be even better. They may eventually need more space depending on how big they get.

Also, be sure to feed a good diet including daily vegetables and sinking pellets or gel food to keep your goldfish healthy. And keep up with the water changes despite the overfiltration. As I said, goldfish are messy!

Back
Top Bottom