Hello my name is Becky and I'm new.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natrualbeauty22

Aquarium Advice Activist
I Think it's fair to say I'm new to proper fish keeping. Lol! I've had this built in 55 gallon for about 10 years. It's housed unsuccessful tropicals , ( back then i didn't know they needed a heater amongst many other mistakes) robo hamsters. I even rescued a very large gold fish from a foreclosed house down the street. The people just left it behind to die. I had no money at the time so I took large landscape rocks from my yard and purchased a filter. I had that fish for 6 years! I have a neighbor who is a hobby fish keeper and gave me more beautiful gold fish to add. I did filter changes once a month but failed to do proper water changes and when pets mart discontinued my filter and filter pads I didn't change the filter in time. I lost all of them all in one day! :( now I have an empty 55 gal wall tank and only a dream. I have done so much research and have become a bit obsessed with doing it right this time! My lack of funds has made me take my time. I'm not jumping into this and little by little This tank will be better than it ever was! I look forward to getting your advice and getting to know all of you!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412125157.897538.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I'm going planted tropical. I've been buying a little here a little there. I have to start all over. I'm going with a canister system this time.

Good size tank, best of luck this time! ?

If I had that gorgeous tank, I would dream of the fish/ aquarium I wanted, but only but plants and substrate and the regular stuff, get it fully cycled and then think about what order to add my dream fish ( of course looking to make sure they are compatible). Oh I am so envious of your tank, just beautiful.

Agree with all the above. The setting for your tank is wonderful. Plan it well and take your time. Surely fish-keeping is a long term hobby and should not be rushed. I take the same attitude as with my garden - it is always a work in progress. Best of luck and please update on your progress.
I run my 60g with two external canister filters, belt and braces :), and two heaters. Worth a thought.

Thanks for your replies and advice! I plan on doing a video of me doing my first aqua scape on this tank. It will be a tittle while before I can do it though. I have 2 teenage girls and they seem to suck my funds dry every chance they get, lol!

I made a check list of the things I need and every payday I buy something and check it off my list. I got a net and thermometer last week. Woo hoo! I guess it's better than nothing lol! I found a heater by topfin from Petsmart on clearance for $17.57 45-65 gal I think that was a good deal!

Ok I seriously need some advice on this one! I have a black water river that runs behind my neighborhood I found a beautiful pice if drift wood that I cut into 3 nice pieces. I have had it on my front porch for about 5 years in the Florida sun and rain. I really like it I want to put it in my tank. I plan to still prepare it with a boiling water bath or two but I fear it my still Tea my tank. I have read that tetra like this type of thing because it makes the water softer. I want a healthy tank but clarity is important to me too. I'm torn do I save money and use the drift wood I have and love or buy a commercial resin one? What are your thoughts? I'm almost positive it's Cyprus ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412363336.539825.jpg

I think Cyprus would be fine and the tannins will disappear after frequent water changes.

Emerald76

Stick it in! The tea stain look only lasts for a month or two anyway ?

Black sand brings out the colour in the fish and plants so for that reason I use it every time ?

It looks quite contemporary too which is cool

Well I do like the black sand look but I think I'm trying to create a more natural looking environment. I have been leaning more towards pool filter sand. What are your thoughts on that? But the black is not totally out of the question.

Welcome to the AA community!

If you live near a larger city you can usually find a sand blasting sand supplier. They frequently work with individuals looking for sand. There are many colors, including natural ones. It is difficult to keep sand that light color clean with plants.

You can be cycling the tank with out having sand in it if you still have a filter for it and use API Bio-Chem Stars in the filter, and can add the canister filter when you can afford it. You would be able to move the Bio-Stars over to the canister filter when you get it.

Ya know, I did't think of the muck and algae getting the sand dirty. Hmm, I know black will look good. Maybe I should do black. Where do I find good black sand? I live in Florida. I have lots of pet stores around But they mostly sell small bags and I haven't seen black.

Back
Top Bottom