Hello, new here, and already crashed my tank :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its a seeded, active filter. You either hook it up to to an airpump or cut it up & place it in your filter to seed your tank with bb.

Is there a local store you have frequented? If so, I would see if possible for you to get some "seeded" media from them for free. If you are going to be buying your fish from them, I'm sure they'll be happy to assist.

Actually yeah. Im going to swing by there today and buy a valve for my air stone. Its picking up and throwing up the sand substrate all over the decorations. So im thinking that if i turn the pump level down a bit it wont be as bad.

As far as these sponge filters. I placed a order for a seeded one. Can I just run one of these sponge filter and not run a air stone? Will there be enough bubbles with that only for the fish to survive?

Yep- your fine to run the filter & not the airstone. Still serves the same function of introducing air via the tubing- what the air comes out through is irrelevant.

Perfect, last thing. 10 gallon tank. No small fry in the tank. Do you suggest a 20ppi or 40ppi foam filter?

I have an airstone in my tank, but it's attached to the rear wall with suction cups. That keeps it up off the sand so doesn't disturb the sand

^ smart man. I ordered one of those 40ppi mag fiters. I will toss the air stone and just use the foam filter instead. Shouldn't have a issue with sand being thrown everywhere.

Just got my active sponge filter from angels plus, going to install it now :D

The question is do I dose the water up with ammonia to 4ppm or just leave it alone?

Fishless cycle.

Thanks again.

Add the active sponge & leave the amm be for tonight. Lets see how your numbers look tommorrow & we will go from there. :)

OK im trusting you jlk. :)

Water temp is at 90 degrees F Should I turn the heater up or leave it be?

The heat should be fine. I cycle my tanks without any heaters no problem. I am on wk 2 of recycling one of my tanks that I had to decimate so im right there with you! Let us know how things look tommorrow!

Ok just tested my water. This is what came up.

ph 7.6 ppm
ammonia 4.0 ppm
nitrite 2.0ppm
nitrate 10ppm

It is very hard to differentiate in-between some of the shades of color.

Thoughts on the tank?

Should I do a pwc? Maybe add a bit of crunched up flakes?

Yes, the looking at the 'different' shades can make you go colorblind- alot of them (esp high nitrites) look the same! Does your tap have nitrates? I know you answered this before (but im not going back 14pgs!), so bare with me! Do a water change if you want to- 50% would drop the amm back to 2ppm. Add some crushed food & leave the amm at 2 for tonight.

My tap readings were this.

ph 7.6
ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

Do you think doing a pwc will make a difference? Id rather just let the bacteria build, and slowly start making the ammonia go away. 4.0 for fishless cycling is where you want it.

Would doing a pwc jumpstart the cycle or something?

Nothing wrong with waiting it out. You are getting some conversion because of your nitrite & nitrate levels. If your nitrites starting getting insane, a wc will help bring things under control & move things along. Just keep an eye on your ph & you should be fine!

A higher PH will help and what is your temp?

Edit: Never mind, I forgot this was Freshwater...PH is ok.

Back
Top Bottom