Hello, New member here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nighteyes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone excited to be a member...I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank I am just getting started put my live rock in last night to start my cycle. I had a saltwater tank many, many years ago but forgot a lot of what I had to do. Will appreciate any help you all can give me.

:welcome:Hey there night eyes!! Welcome to the forum. You will recieve tons of great informative help here. Make sure that your tank completes a full cycle before you add any fishies to it! :flowers:

Thanks Shark Bait and I am doing just that. The only thing that I was questioning about that is the live rock I purchased is completely cured they say I have been checking my ammonia everyday and it has been 2.0 not getting any higher, so I am wondering if it goes to 0 and holds out there for 3 days do you think it's safe to say it's cycled?

No Ma'am, I made that same assumption with my first SW and lost a few fish. :( A true cycle normally takes 3 weeks to complete. With live and cured rock, your tank may try to "trick you" into thinking it's cycled. Then randomly you might get a spike in ammonia and fish will suffer. To be safe i'd wait till you hit at least the 2 1/2 week mark (Long time I know :/) to be completely sure your water is safe :)

make sure to check your nitrite and nitrate levels also. ammonia should go down and nitrites rise then nitrites go down and nitrates rise. when the nitrites reach zero you should be good to go! make sure to add animals slowly ( amount not speed lol) and keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite. Good luck!

Hmmm I was wondering about that. Well I surely appreciate the advice and will definitely wait the 3-4 weeks I was thinking of doing originally :) Thanks again and will let you know how I make out!!

Thanks kicking fish yeah I get a little confused with the nitrite, nitrate thing I did test them the other day but don't recall what they were but that was the same time I put my rock in. I do have one question tho...after the tank is all cycled and everything is where is supposed to be I have read on some sites to do a water change and other sites say I don't need to. What is your take on this? Out to whom ever can answer that for me. Much appreciated. :)

Don't really see a need to do a water change unless the nitrates are high. I'm assuming you are going to do some sort of reef tank with the live rock. You will want your nitrates to be below 20 ppm. If it is a fish only tank they can be a little high with no worries. Always keep your nitrite at zero and of course you should never have an ammonia reading. on a side note I use to live in orlando. Still miss florida all the time!

Well you have a 55 gal tank but what is your filtration? I like to do 2-3 partial water changes a month. Not a lot, maybe 10-20%. Helps keep your nitrate levels low too. But whats your filtration?

NOt sure if you are familiar with it or not but I purchased the Marineland Bio-Wheel aquarium kit with the led lights..it came with the Bio wheel 350..not sure how good it is going to work didn't know if I needed to get a skimmer as well or not. I am going strictly fish right now no corals. Maybe in future long time down the road if then.

No I am doing just fish right now. I am using the live rock strictly as part of the filteration and of course to help cycle my tank. Hope I got that right. Orlando huh? I am in Deltona so not far at all.

Oh your not going to be happy with that marineland thing for long. Lol I had one for a while and soon upgraded to a small canister filter. Like I said fish only can take the nitrates fine. Kind of rule of thumb is a 10% water change once a week. Sometimes I do that sometimes I don't with fish only. I don't like nitrates to get too high not so much for fish health but for algae control. Nitrate and Phosphate are both fertilizers. Same stuff you would put on your yard to make it grow and get green. The less you have in your tank the harder it is for the algae to grow.
Love that area! Grand parents lived in Lake Helen.

Thanks for the tip I will upgrade later on that's for sure...and Lk. Helen is a one of the beautiful areas here. :)

Thanks Shark I am gonna do an upgrade for sure and from what I see canister is the way to go. Thanks again for the tips and have a great day ")

Back
Top Bottom