Hello there...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pradeepcec

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello Guys, this is Pradeep from Nashua, NH in US. I have been a fish keeper since my childhood, although I wouldn't say I am expert but I have mostly kept fishes like Guppies, mollies, gold fishes, Koi, Pleco etc

I recently got a 20 gallon topfin tank, currently under fishless cycling, a week now since I started the cycle. Have few live plants already and I am using the tetra safe start method to do the cycle.

I also have a small NG 5 gallon waterfall tank, which had a betta in it, which died recently, so that tank too is now empty and I have started a new fishless cycle in that too. Planning to get some invertebrates in that.

Thank you.

welcome man you need a big tank have some fun!

I would love to have one but since I stay in an apartment home, I am scared the floors are not strong enough to bear the weight :) But hopefully one day, when I move into my own house I will get a big one

Thanks anyway for the warm welcome :)

IMG_7310.jpg

So this is todays Ammonia and Nitrite reading. If I read it correctly Ammonia is 4ppm and nitrite is 2ppm. Ammonia has not fallen much since I added it but I see increase in Nitrite level.

Is this correct? I did not check Nitrates yet.

That's about right, those color charts are so hard to read sometimes. Really doesn't matter the exact reading, just want to get to ammonia 0 & nitrite 0. Lol[emoji6] ...about 4weeks to go maybe?

Don't stress about it, but you'll be glad when it's over and you did it right.

That's about right, those color charts are so hard to read sometimes. Really doesn't matter the exact reading, just want to get to ammonia 0 & nitrite 0. Lol[emoji6] ...about 4weeks to go maybe?

Don't stress about it, but you'll be glad when it's over and you did it right.

Hmm.. ok got it :) thank you

So here is todays results.. I must say this is fun :)
I am sorry if this is boring for you guys but I am really enjoying this wait..
So I can see no change in the results but I can see nitrates as well.. not sure if I am reading it correctly but as per me this is what it is
Anmonia: 4ppm
Nitrite: 2-3ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm
IMG_7323.jpg

Also I forgot to say that I am actually running two tanks cycling parallely . One of them with TSS and one without.. so the above results is with TSS whereas in the tank without TSS nitrites are still 0.5ppm or less after same period..

When fishless cycling, I generally aim for 1-2PPM ammonia, then wait until it hits zero to add more ammonia. You have a while to go, but patience is an aquarist's best friend. :) The fact you have nitrites shows the cycle is working. (y)

When fishless cycling, I generally aim for 1-2PPM ammonia, then wait until it hits zero to add more ammonia. You have a while to go, but patience is an aquarist's best friend. :) The fact you have nitrites shows the cycle is working. (y)

Yes just waiting for that moment :)

Welcome to the community. Looking like you got some nice progress so far. I am going through a fishless cycle myself in a 29 gallon. Did you use any starter bacteria? If you what kind did you go with?

Welcome to the community. Looking like you got some nice progress so far. I am going through a fishless cycle myself in a 29 gallon. Did you use any starter bacteria? If you what kind did you go with?

Yes I used Tetra safe start in one of my tank and it is doing well compared to the other one which I have not used. Like I mentioned I added Ammonia of 4ppm and then after few hours I added about 10ml of Tetra Safe start liquid.

Appreciate the info. Brain went blank last night and didn't put tss and safe start together haha. I have tried Stability and after 11 days I haven't seen any nitrites but a slow increase in nitrates. Thought about trying Dr. Tim's one and only or Safe Start if I don't see anything by day 20

Appreciate the info. Brain went blank last night and didn't put tss and safe start together haha. I have tried Stability and after 11 days I haven't seen any nitrites but a slow increase in nitrates. Thought about trying Dr. Tim's one and only or Safe Start if I don't see anything by day 20

Yes it happens :) atleast for me this was the first time I am cycling a tank in my life. Previously when I was a child I used to have tanks but I was not aware of all this concepts and always ended up having dead fishes for first few months :(

But even this time, the first day after I setup my new tank I added TSS but did not add any ammonia and guess the bacteria were starved to death :( I only later realized that when I am adding TSS I need to add pure ammonia or some hardy fishes and I did not do both and hence ended up wasting a weeks time beforeI added ammonia and the process kicked in.

I have an Ammonium Chloride solution from Dr. Tim and have been keeping the ammonia at 4ppm was up to 5ppm but it's back to 4ppm now finally. When I was young I also didn't realize that cycling process and ran into the same situation as you did. Now that I am aware of it I will always do it.

I have an Ammonium Chloride solution from Dr. Tim and have been keeping the ammonia at 4ppm was up to 5ppm but it's back to 4ppm now finally. When I was young I also didn't realize that cycling process and ran into the same situation as you did. Now that I am aware of it I will always do it.

Sure. All the best :)

I'm tuned in for the rest of the cycling process and the upcoming build/stocking process [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom