Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

felybee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

My name is Ophélie, and we live in Kent, UK.

I used to have a fish tank a few years ago and goign to get started again.

Excited to show you soon how our tank will look like

Ophelie

Hi welcome to AA. If you need any help getting started again just ask. There is much knowledge here and extremly nice folks too.

welcometoaa.gif

I am a bit wondering, because I read that we can add fish after 24 hours, in another place I read after 1 week, but I don't remember putting my fish before 3 weeks in my tanks back a few years ago. So I was going to wait until I read something that tells me to wait less or more but would have waited for a week, and bring a little of my water to the shop to test before buying any fish.

felybee said:
I am a bit wondering, because I read that we can add fish after 24 hours, in another place I read after 1 week, but I don't remember putting my fish before 3 weeks in my tanks back a few years ago. So I was going to wait until I read something that tells me to wait less or more but would have waited for a week, and bring a little of my water to the shop to test before buying any fish.

You need to give it an ammonia source and test your water. Ammonia source could be pure ammonia, fish food, or any other thing that will give off ammonia as it rots.

Once you have a consistent reading of zero ammonia and zero nitrItes and a reading below forty of nitrAtes, you're done.

Oh interesting, so that means that it could be perfect a few hours after set up or it could take up to a week until it reach the proper levels?

Oh interesting, so that means that it could be perfect a few hours after set up or it could take up to a week until it reach the proper levels?

not really. it never takes 2 days 4 or more days is the normal amount of time.

felybee said:

No, it would still be several weeks. The cycle hasn't begun right after set up. Cycling is when the nitrifying bacteria is colonizing in your tank, and this will take time.

You can, however, seed the tank to speed up the process. This is taking some of the good bacteria from an established tank and introducing it to your tank to speed up the time it takes. You can do this by taking gravel or filter media from another tank.

Also, most of the products you can buy to instantly cycle your tank don't work and are a waste of money.

No, it would still be several weeks. The cycle hasn't begun right after set up. Cycling is when the nitrifying bacteria is colonizing in your tank, and this will take time.

You can, however, seed the tank to speed up the process. This is taking some of the good bacteria from an established tank and introducing it to your tank to speed up the time it takes. You can do this by taking gravel or filter media from another tank.

Also, most of the products you can buy to instantly cycle your tank don't work and are a waste of money.

i agree :p:eek::):p:eek::):p:D

Hello again, I was going to post this originally but didn't know if you had previous experience with cycling, there are two types. FishLESS and Fish in (with fish).

Fishless cycling is IMO (in my opinion) the best way to introduce pure ammonia to the aquarium. The ammonia is convered to nitrItes as a by product of one type of bacteria and the nitrites are used as a food source by another type of bacteria and creates nitrAtes as their by product. No fish are in the tank during this method

Ammonia is generated by fish waste, decaying plants, and fish food. If there are not any beneficial bacteria to convert it by the nitrogen cycle into less harmful nitrAtes, then it will cause your fish to become sick and ultimately die.

The fish in cycle (not my choice) is by using the fish waste and food to get the nitrogen cycle going by the breakdown of them creating ammonia. Your fish will suffer and perhaps perish in the process. it can also take much longer due to the small amounts of ammonia that can be introduced because the ammonia again will harm the fish.

I am attaching an article for you to read and it explains the process. The choice is yours. Dont be insulted by the name of the article. It wasnt intended to be insulting.

Local Fish Stores sometimes only want your money, by properly cycling your aquarium, you will save time in the long run and hopefully will cause no harm to your new pets. We dont want your money, just you and your fish to thrive, not just survive. We will help you anyway possible.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom