Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vettech

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I am a newbie to fish keeping, unless you count my 2g Betta tank and my .5g tank for my African dwarf frogs. I was recently given a very nice 75g tank with all the equipment and the current residents. The tank is housing as of now a 18" rhino pleco, 2 8" Siamese algae eaters (all 3 of these fish are 15-16 yrs old), and a 2" skunk loach who's age I do not know. I am a veterinary technician and avid animal lover so my first priority was the well-being of the current residents. I have had this tank for almost 4 weeks now, the only modifications I have made include completely cleaning the tank when I first took over ownership and replacing the gravel. I have added 2 artificial plants and have just been patient in letting the tank cycle. I kept 25g of the original water and transported it in 5g buckets with the fish and tank when I got this setup. Last night I tested the water and my nitrites all of a sudden are 0 but the nitrates are still high. So does this mean I should do a partial water exchange? If so, how much should I do? :smilecolros: The water has become slightly cloudy, it happened before and resolved on it's own so I figured it was part of the Nitrogen Cycle. Can the current cloudyness be normal? Are these tank symptoms a sign that the cycle is ending?

What color is the cloud? If it's white, you're likely in the middle of a bacteria bloom, and that would also mesh with the high nitrates in my experience (not that I have a HUGE amount, but I've got three tanks running now so I've got some recent empirical experience to work with.)

Depending on HOW high your nitrates are, you probobly do want to do a water change. That being said, what's it registering at, and what's your ammonia doing?

Hey, welcome to AA :D Sorry, I'm kind of confused, are you doing a fishless cycle or with the fish in?
If the fish are still in the tank, you will have to do daily 50% water changes until the cycle is complete... it's annoying but it's the best way to keep all your fish safe during a cycle.

i know this kinda off topic,but about your betta and adf,there tanks are way to small.5 gallon minimum for the betta,same with the adf

Betta and ADF tank size

OK so the Betta is in a 2 gallon tank and the 2 African dwarf frogs are in a 1/2 gallon tank and they have been in these tanks for over two yrs. Are you sure they are too small? The frogs came in this silly little cube and i upgraded them to the bigger size and they seem fine. The Betta tank even has a filtration system it is not 1 of those glass bowl things.

yeah,they both need to be upgraded.id get a 10 and keep them together

Back
Top Bottom