Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zachdave

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been involved with aquariums on and off for 30 years (both fresh and fish only salt water). I currently have only a 20 gallon fresh water tank, and am waiting for the last few fish to die from old age before I make a decision about where to go next. I'd like to go back to salt water, and am toying with the idea of a fish only with live rock system. My previous salt water experience involved a 45 gallon fish only with bleached coral only, so the live rock would be a new experience. I'd be interested in advice on the appropriate filtration. I'll probably get a 50 gallon tank. Do I need a refugium or can I use canisters or some simple kind of wet dry? Thanks to all.

Welcome aboard, hope we can all help you with your enquiries as you begin your new FOWLR tank :)

I'd be interested in advice on the appropriate filtration. I'll probably get a 50 gallon tank. Do I need a refugium or can I use canisters or some simple kind of wet dry? Thanks to all.

It's been a few years since I had a SW set-up, but I sucessfully ran a 30G FOWLR with no sump or refugium; the biggest problem I had was the accessories hanging off the side of the tank detracted from the looks. My future SW tanks will all have at least a sump so I can hide all the technology and keep the primary tank as attractive as possible. Ultimately it comes down to budget & space versus look of the tank.

I'm sure that when you get closer to setting up the tank (or begin purchasing the accessories) a few posts in the right forums will provide you with a wealth of information.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Back
Top Bottom