Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah E

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!

I'm Sarah E, and I'm brand-new to the world of owning fish. Right now, I own around 15 Feeder Guppies (I started out with 50, but they started dropping like flies! Getting caught in the filter, randomly dying, etc.) and when I found this forum, I couldn't have been more happy.

I look forward to learning the in's and outs, the ups and downs of being a fish owner. I also hope to start breeding my Feeder Guppies, but right now, I'm trying to focus on them not dying. I need help through this adventure. I'll be posting another thread... somewhere on the forum asking questions about breeding, caring, etc. Thank you! :)

Welcome! I started with guppies too (Okay, not counting beta's. gotta love the beta's though). I doubt you'll consider them "Feeder" for long, and as for breeding them, the hardest parts going to be keeping the fry alive. I garuntee you SOMEONE's already pregnant in there.

Now, the technical part. I'd bet you didn't have your tank quite cycled when you put your guys in there. There's several postings on cycling both with and without fish (Most will tell you you MUST do it without. Truth is, it's better but you can do it with. Also, depending on how long the tanks been running, you might be close to through it). It's a common problem with new folks so don't take it as to much of a disaster. Few folks around here didn't make the same mistake their first time out.

Testing kits are your friends. Most around here love the API Master Freshwater kit, though test strips (While not well loved) are better than not checking your water. Trust me, I found this out the hard way too.

Last, and not so technical, ask questions! Most of the folks around here are more than happy to answer any questions (Frankly some of them might be to eager!:lol:)

So, since someone will ask if I don't. What sized tank you running? And what type of filter? We might be able to stop the casualties you've been having.

Thank you very much! I put the water and had a filter running a day before I actually added the fish... I'll know to wait a few days next time!!!

I have a 10 gallon Aqueon tank, the Filter is called "QuiteflowTM Power Filtration" and I have a 50 Watt Heater.

Jeez, you scared me there! :hide:

Your fish will love you for learning all this new stuff that will keep them happy and healthy. :D

AHHHHH!!! *runs screaming from room weeping*

See, this is why I said don't take it as so much of a disaster.

The trick now is to read the article, do the admittedly huge water changes, and accept the annoyance that ignorance is definately not bliss in this hobby. (More like a landmine at a tap dancing compitetion, really.)

But, all is not lost. That's when you chuck the aquarium out of the window in frustration. (I kind of wonder if anyone's done this, actually)

Hi Sarah, and welcome to the AA forum!:welcome: You can learn so much on this forum, and your :fish2::lol: will :thanks: for it. Have fun with your new addicting hobby.

LOL My mom wanted to know why I was joining "AA" and if there was anything I wanted to talk to her about. ;) ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom