Hello!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billybloo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All!
My name is Billy and this is my first 'aqua' post. This is also my first attempt at setting up a SW aquarium. Here's what I got:

bioCube 32 (cycling for one week now).
50 lbs live rock
Caribe Sand live sand
1 blue damsel
10 blue leg hermit crabs
2 Mexican turbo snails
ROD water from my LFS
Master test kit - did my first test last Saturday

two things I noticed..
I am starting to grow some Diatom (i think thats what it is), its brown which I understand will go away soon and is part of cycling process.
My blue damsel just this morning is starting to lose its color..normal?

My tests this last Saturday:
pH 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrate/nitrite 0
Have not tested Specific Gravity yet-still need to get a refractometer.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here as I have so much to learn about this!I attached a photo

Attachments

• tank 042318.jpg
    tank 042318.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 38
Is it live rock like it’s precured and was in a tub cycling when you got it? Odd you haven’t seen a spike in parameters. Is the damsel only dull in he morning or all the time? Just to be aware Damsels are jerks and I’d be careful when you eventually add other fish of the damsel.

How do you know the salinity without a means of testing? Was it pre mixed at the lfs?

Is it live rock like it’s precured and was in a tub cycling when you got it? Odd you haven’t seen a spike in parameters. Is the damsel only dull in he morning or all the time? Just to be aware Damsels are jerks and I’d be careful when you eventually add other fish of the damsel.
Yes, the live rock was covered in water in a barrel at my LFS and cycling..Haven't seen a spike in parameters as its only been cycling for one week now and I just put the damsel, snails and crabs in two days ago as I was attempting to have a 'clean up crew' help me cycle the tank. I'll be doing a nitrate\nitrite test today though. This is the first day I noticed a color change in the damsel as it was neon blue last night. And yes I have read damsel can be 'jerks' so was advised to add odd numbers so they don't fight..my plan was to add one first then add two more..then not add any fish for another 3 weeks so the tank can cycle. Does that sound like a good plan>

I purchased a master test kit and did my first tests this weekend...saturday..

Damsels are jerks to every fish not just their own kind. Being in odd numbers doesn’t change that. Seeing diatoms is usually a sign that a cycle is close to ending hence why I was confused why you haven’t seen parameter spikes. Just monitor like you’re planning. The damsel is now pretty much what’s cycling the tank if it isn’t fully cycled. The inverts aren’t doing much towards adding ammonia and such to the tank.

API Master test kit

They are ok for first kits, beginner()
They’re not super accurate there are test- kits (REDSEA) , Saltiferd sp? ) they’re quite expensive but very accurate.
The kid you got is great to start with so you start learning processes but whenever you have a perimeter that’s not correct take it to your LFS immediately especially if it shows any phosphates ,ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites. You’ll be surprised how much of a difference in reading you’ll get but it is good to start off because it’ll give you the basics just not super precise are used one for two years when I first started. I used to use the fish and the Coral to tell me how the water was more than kits

Back
Top Bottom