Help 2 guppy deaths and now a nitrite spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rosie2126

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10g and had 9 male guppies who were all doing fine (not all stocked at once but gradually over time) there hasn't been any fin nipping or bullying as far as I've seen. The water parameters were great, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 40 then 20, ph stable. Frequent water changes, surface water fine. Then one guppy started spending its time alone at the top of the tank, hanging around the filter, rapid breathing but then seemed to perk up, next day found him dead. On inspection nothing looked out of the ordinary (I did a water change night before) this was Monday. I checked the water, all fine. Tuesday night another guppy did the same little routine, yesterday morning I couldn't even find him in the tank, he reappeared he seemed better. I checked the water last night and the nitrites had crept up to 0.25 so I did a water change, this morning guppy dead and nitrite off the charts. My tank was fully cycled (after 2 months) what's happening?

Did you replace or wash your filter media in water not from your tank? Sounds like the BB colony has been compromised. Taking more than 50% water won't hurt anything as long as you condition it and temp match properly. Unless you cause a massive ph swing.

The most I've done is a 25% water change and I always treat it and temperature match as closely as possible. After the first fish died Monday I tested the nitrite and ammonia, both 0 and the same Tuesday. Yesterday the nitrite was 0.25 ammonia 0. Then suddenly today it went sky high. I've never washed the filter sponge with tap water as I read that this kills the bacteria.

rosie2126 said:
The most I've done is a 25% water change and I always treat it and temperature match as closely as possible. After the first fish died Monday I tested the nitrite and ammonia, both 0 and the same Tuesday. Yesterday the nitrite was 0.25 ammonia 0. Then suddenly today it went sky high. I've never washed the filter sponge with tap water as I read that this kills the bacteria.

How long has the tank been established?

About a month. It took about 2 months to cycle and ironically I was worried about getting fish in case this happened

rosie2126 said:
About a month. It took about 2 months to cycle and ironically I was worried about getting fish in case this happened

Sounds like it could be a mini cycle due to the extra bio load from added fish. I would just keep up with water changes and monitor your levels to keep the trites under .25 ppm. If you need to you can do larger than 25% pwc as long as you condition it. I would start with a 50% to get the trites down.

They spend a lot if not most of their time at the top of the tank, then they perk up and swim about a bit. They look as they they are breathing rapidly too. No distinguishing features though

rosie2126 said:
They spend a lot if not most of their time at the top of the tank, then they perk up and swim about a bit. They look as they they are breathing rapidly too. No distinguishing features though

Are they up there gasping for air?

That's what it looks like, that I though would be because of the high nitrite spike. The others are all fine, swimming about. It's just odd how they have done it one by one

rosie2126 said:
That's what it looks like, that I though would be because of the high nitrite spike. The others are all fine, swimming about. It's just odd how they have done it one by one

Yea that could be. I would keep doing the water changes and possibly increase aeration for the time being if possible. Like I mentioned, it sounds to me like a mini cycle.

Thank you so much for all your replies and your advice it's been so helpful. I will get on with the water changes and up the aeration like you've suggested, straight away.

rosie2126 said:
Thank you so much for all your replies and your advice it's been so helpful. I will get on with the water changes and up the aeration like you've suggested, straight away.

You're welcome. I hope your little guys make it. Keep us updated.

Bdonaldson said:
Are you taking bacteria out when you do the water change? if so you Need to add bacteria back in to replace what was removed,

Not true. Your BB colony grows in your filter and your substrate. There is very little if any in the water column. That was once believed to be true but has since been proved wrong.

UPDATE: Did just over 25% wc which made little difference so I did a huge water change (60%) and it's come back down to 0.25 unfortunately lost another guppy :-( and one seems to have jumped in his place (at the top of the tank) is there a reason they take turns and not all suffer at once?

Back
Top Bottom