help 3 day old Cleaner shrimp dead after molting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vickie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
We have a tank with 2 clown fish, and an anthea, we did have a lovely cleaning shrimp which we purchased last thursay with the anthea. Anthea is thriving but the cleaning shrimp scared the life out of me last night when i thought it had died only to realise it had molted, but then I woke this morning to find him at the front of the tank not moving. Have checked all levels and all are fine. Have I done somethign wrong, feeling kinda down about killing shrimpy as he was my daughters fave. We are new to marine fish hecne we only have a few. Have had the clowns for 3 months and they are still tinybut thriving and the Anthia we have is as happya s can be since we got it last week.
Just wanted to know if theres somethign I have done to cause the death of shrimpy, as I said he was very acive loved hanging around over by the clown fish under their palm trees n so on and seemed ot be happy as cna be. Just wondering why he died after molting as I thought molting meant they were happy and should I leave it a while before getting another. Sorry if I am ranting just a litte concerned and worried that I may have done something wrong or have missed something out that I should have been doing.
Any advice would be great, we have as I said 2 clown fish and an anthea, a living rock and then some ornaments as were told we didnt need live corral etc hen being a newbie. thanks and looking forward to heard from some of you experts.

I know that shrimp are very sensitive to SG changes even a .001 can cause problems.

I have noticed when I get new peppermints the first thing they do is molt, I assume it is from stress. I try to get my shrimp the first day they come in for that reason. I have noticed with my peppermint shrimp when they molt for the first time that is when they are the most sensitive or maybe it is because one of my fish get to them after lights out because they don't have a place they can hide well enough.

Back
Top Bottom