Help!! 55 gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

egamdliw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon aquarium that's been set up for 8 months. At the moment it has 2 clown barbs and I'm looking for something that I can put in the tank that will add more color and be something different to look at.

I have 3 more clown barbs in another tank that I'm bulking up. They are too small to go with the other at the moment. As soon as I have 5 barbs in the tank I have an albino rainbow shark that I'd like to move into it and I'm hoping to get a red tailed shark as well.

Does any one have any suggestions on what I can add? I've gotten the tiger barbs and rosy barb ideas already and I'm just not excited about those.

Someone mentioned large buenos aires tetras. Would these work?

Any advise that you can give would be wonderful. Thanks!

Rummy nose tetras are nice they have a orange head and striped black and white tails

You can get some real nice Molly's and can get varieties which will still be able to breed
Colours such as black white orange and mixes of these

Guppies are beautiful and very colourful and ate funny to watch

Platys can be gorgeous and you should certainly consider as you can get some lovely colours

But Beta Fish in my opinion are the most beautiful with there spreading fin and colour variety

Neons are tiny glow up fish which look stunning in a colourful tank

I'm not certain of the name I think it's a clown loach. These are similar to tiger barbs but in my opinion better and really quite cute. (Tiger barbs can also be quite aggresive.)

Good luck! It's so exciting getting new fish
Make sure the fish will be ok to mix with others

I'm not certain of the name I think it's a clown loach. These are similar to tiger barbs but in my opinion better and really quite cute.

They also are much happier in large groups and need larger tanks sadly.

Always recommend a shoal of cories as a fun cleanup crew :) If you're a beginner look at a school of 6-8 bronze cories as they're little tanks but if you're reasonably experienced there are a heap of species of cories out there to check out :)

Unfortunately I think most of those fish will be too slow for my fast and nippy barbs. I may pick up some buenos aires tetras because they are faster than most but I'm not thrilled on their color. I'm also hoping to get a red tailed shark though I do really like the idea of a shoal of corys. If the store near me gets in panda corys I'm definitely grabbing a group.

If I could find full grown mollies they might work. My largest barb just likes to chase things so I'm worried small fish won't do well.

Thanks for both of your help!

Back
Top Bottom