Help 911!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZcarFR-S

Aquarium Advice Activist
My baby gar got attacked and his fun tore up pretty bad. I put him I quarantine and it's like it's getting worse. Attached you will see the torn find and then how it looks now.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417200080.182726.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417200097.532273.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417200110.950593.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I dont know if they will be able to have salt but its helps if u put 5 ml. BE SURE TO CHECK IF HE CAN HAVE SALT IN HIS TANK !

Thanks will check on it. Is there anything else I can do to help him heal?

Has to be aquarium salt , and for now try that i will try to find out more information. :)

Forget the salt. Fresh water, 50% daily water changes for a week, every other day the 2nd week, wait 10 minutes before adding dechlor.

They are a hardy fish so I am thinking he will be okay. What fish did this to him? I would do clean water changes a LOT as it will help keep the wound clean. You can wait to add the dechlorinator, but doing that can also kill your bacterial filter often times. I would stick with water changes and some light salt (if those fish can handle salt).

If the disinfectant in your water supply was strong enough to kill off your nitrifying bacteria you wouldn't be able to drink it, but it would probably make a great oven cleaner! Plenty of folks do a 25% water change with municipally supplied water without any problem. One issue municipal water suppliers are up against are bacteria in the system that are more resistant to chlorine/chloramine, and split the ammonia from chloramine using it as a food source. It's easy to get these bacteria to grow in your filtration system, as they come in with your water supply.

With this issue, if suppliers increase the chloramine, they increase the food source, thus increasing the bacteria. What they do, and what has been working somewhat is breakpoint chlorination. They'll give the whole system one massive dose of disinfectant, in the hopes of knocking it back. They give a heads up to folks on the system, not just because of fish, but the water is like drinking from a heavily chlorinated swimming pool.

I talked to my LFS who specialize in out of the ordinary fish. I have added aquarium salt, and pimafix. And put in some feeder fish. Luckily he ate. His first time since I have had him. ( almost 2 weeks).

Back
Top Bottom