Help a newb with his first planted tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bullnugget

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I am in the process of gathering everything for my first planted tank. The tank is an established and full 55, with gravel and a bunch of fake décor. I have collected 50 pounds of pool filter sand, and am currently waiting on the rest of my blue slate to come in. The transformation will begin then. I also have a 48" power compact light. It uses 4 bulbs, about 21 22" long. The bulbs are currently 2 Actinic and 2 12000k, not for growing plants!!

1. I was looking for bulbs at ahsupply.com, and have 2 6700k picked out, but was not sure on what others to use. I keep reading a red bulb would be best, but cant seem to figure out what one that is??

These are the options:
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]54[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]45.75 [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Deep Blue 03[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]11549[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5" [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]5500K[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]15555[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5" [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]6700K[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]11556[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5" [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]3-6-10[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]11550[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5" [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]10000K[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]11551[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5" [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Bright Blue [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]11552[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5" [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Deep Blue 03[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]11559[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5"[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica] 10000K/Deep Blue 03 Combo[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]15519[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]

2. I currently am using a Emperor 400 filter. Will this be ok?

3. Will the pool filter sand do ok with growing plants? I havnt decided on which plants to use yet, but will definitely be easy hardy plants.

So, I am in the process of gathering everything for my first planted tank. The tank is an established and full 55, with gravel and a bunch of fake décor. I have collected 50 pounds of pool filter sand, and am currently waiting on the rest of my blue slate to come in. The transformation will begin then. I also have a 48" power compact light. It uses 4 bulbs, about 21 22" long. The bulbs are currently 2 Actinic and 2 12000k, not for growing plants!!

1. I was looking for bulbs at ahsupply.com, and have 2 6700k picked out, but was not sure on what others to use. I keep reading a red bulb would be best, but cant seem to figure out what one that is??

These are the options:
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]54[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]45.75 [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Deep Blue 03[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]11549[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5" [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]5500K[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]15555[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5" [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]6700K[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]11556[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5" [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]3-6-10[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]11550[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5" [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]10000K[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]11551[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5" [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Bright Blue [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]11552[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5" [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Deep Blue 03[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]11559[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]55[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]21.1-5"[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica] 10000K/Deep Blue 03 Combo[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]15519[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$17.99[/FONT]

2. I currently am using a Emperor 400 filter. Will this be ok?

3. Will the pool filter sand do ok with growing plants? I havnt decided on which plants to use yet, but will definitely be easy hardy plants.

1- most people say the 6700k/10,000k combo works great and is very pleasing to the eye. not yellowish.

2- yes

3- yes, i use pFS and plants grow like no tomorrow ( you gotta put root tabs though for the root feeding plants )

Last edited:
I am going to agree with 20cc on all of those points. However PFS might tend to compact a little more than desired so you might look into getting some malaysian trumpet snails to sift through the sand keeping it aerated and unpacked.

thanks guys. I'll look into the snails, but how do I keep them from overpopulating the tank, I hear they breed quickly. Also, I just got a go on a 90, so this will be replacing my 55. What is a good canister filter for a planted tank? Not sure on what I will be stocking with

Ahhh, this can get very complicated and expensive in a hurry huh?

So I just was doing math, I plan to order 2 6700k bulbs and 2 10000k bulbs, each 55 watts, for my power compact fixture. Now 55 x 4 = 220 watts, in a 90 gallon tank that's 2.44 watts per gallon, is this going to be enough. I am reading most moderate lights plants require around 3 watts? I really hate to spend a couple hundred big ones on a new fixture!

to my understanding the watt per gallon rule doesnt apply to t5ho... 4 t5ho over a gallon with reflectors would be high light.

I run one of my 55's with an Aquatic Life 2 bulb T5HO fixture with 1-6000k Midday Geisemann bulb and 1-Aquaflora (pink) bulb. This gives me a solid good medium to medium high light and I can grow all the same non-green plants in this tank as I can in the 220g tank. I also get good colors from the light. I use CO2 and dry ferts dosed PPS-Pro. SO if your thinking about using 4 T5HO's your going to be in the very high light and will have to run CO2 and dose dry ferts. You will also have to be very careful about how long you run your lighting or you'll have an algae farm. Just something to think about. Personally I'd look at Geisemann bulbs for T5HO's as they give off excellent color for plants. The bulbs you listed are mostly reef bulbs.

Are power compacts and t5ho's the same? I just ordered lights from ahsupply.com, 2 55w 6700k, 21" long and 2 55w 3-6-10, 21" long. I read the 3-6-10 gives off some nice red and yellow colors. I have a straight 4 pin bulb.

No they aren't the same. I've never used power compacts before so I'm no help with them.

Back
Top Bottom