Help a Newbie!!! When to do Water Changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex33

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had my tank for a week now,when should I do water change? And is it ok to top the tank off because of water evaporation?

Attachments

• image-2415484076.jpg
    image-2415484076.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 87
Alex33 said:
I had my tank for a week now,when should I do water change? And is it ok to top the tank off because of water evaporation?

Did you cycle the tank? I'm guessing no? Do you have a test kit? And % of water changes depend on water parameters and stock plus size of tank and other factors. But you need to test and see what your conditions are since your probably doing a fish in cycle (if I'm wrong I apologize)

I do 20-25% water changes every week. And when topping off the tank you should treat that amount with a good dechlorinator like Prime.

What size tank? What type of filter? What's your stock.

I have a 29gal tank I'm running two filters a 30 gal Tetra whisper and a 20 gal aqueon that I just put in yesterday, I waited 5 days before getting 2 dwarf gouramis and two electric yellow tetras. That same day I put tetra safe start in for insurance. I got water tested yesterday and was told all is good and got two angles. My water is a little cloudy not crystal clear like I want, when should I do water change and or what should I do next? Thanks guys for the help!

Please get yourself a good liquid test kit such as the API freshwater master test kit. Letting your tank sit for 5 days did nothing to help cycle it. As, you are now in the midst of a fish-in cycle, you will need to test your water daily (or even twice daily) and do water changes as needed to keep your toxin levels under control. Hopefully, our tropical experts can offer insight into your present stocking & whether its appropriate for your tank or not. Heres a link with some more info on fish-in cycling:

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Thanks, but can you help me about water changes ? When for first and how often and the % of water do I change? I just want the best for my fish.

You need to get yourself a liquid test kit asap. Your water parameters will dictate how often, how many & how big your water changes should be. Please read the link I posted above because it explains the specifics. For now until you get a test kit, I would do atleast 50% daily with temperature matched, properly conditioned water starting immediately. The test kit is really a must have so you can monitor your tanks parameters and act accordingly to keep your fish healthy while cycling. :)

Alex33 said:
Thanks, but can you help me about water changes ? When for first and how often and the % of water do I change? I just want the best for my fish.

As far as your first water change. Like others have said it depends on your nitrite nitrate and ammonia levels as far as when and how much to change. As far as taking your water in to test it. If they used strips then sold you fish then they a. Don't really know what they are doing. B. Just trying to sale you fish. If they used a liquid test. Then you should get a kit and test it yourself or get it tested again now that you have more fish in there. As far as how much to change really depends on your levels. Say your nitrates are over 40 say something like 80 you want these to be at around 20-40 so do a 50% water change. The way it goes is you feed the fish then they poop and that turns to ammonia which is bad then that turns to nitrites which is bad but not as bad then that turns into nitrates which is still bad but still safer then the other two. As far as test strips go I myself was reluctant to by a api master test kit 30 bucks or so at PETCO when the strips are half the price. So I went with the strips. After going through a whole bottle in the first month of a fish in cycle I kept a detailed diary of every test I did then after running out of strips I wanted to get some more fish took water in and one store tested it with a strip and said it was fine. Me being me wanting a second opinion took water in to a different store who tested it with a api master kit and my levels were way off the charts to the danger side. So I did a 50% water change then took a sample to the second store and tested again water levels were cut in half. So broke down and bought a api master kit lol. so now i do a 25% wc every week. As needed. So test first then water change. If you skip a week and have no dead fish then you can make it up on the next water change by doing a 50% water change.

Thanks going to get test now, so if my levels are off I should do change right? I'll read more on tonight just wanting how and or when to change? Thank you again. :)

Alex33 said:
Thanks going to get test now, so if my levels are off I should do change right? I'll read more on tonight just wanting how and or when to change? Thank you again. :)

Yes. On average you should do a water change once a week.

Yes. On average you should do a water change once a week.

This only applies to a cycled tank. The OP is just starting a fish-in cycle and has lots of water changes ahead of him/her before this tank has parameters that are safe for fish. Depending on the parameters this may indicate daily or even multiple daily water changes until the tank is cycled.

Thanks ! So I'm going to do a water change regardless ? Petsmart said wait a month!!?

If you dont do water changes for a month in an uncycled tank, the only thing your going to have is a tank full of dead fish. I am sorry but the advice from the chain stores can be steeped in ignorance. Not always, but this advice they are offering is simply atrocious. The article I posted for you is short & to the point- please read it & ask any questions you may have!

Hi and welcome. Sorry the store gave you bad advice but it's not your fault. First, if you can't get the test kit yet, it's always good to do water changes. Particularly in an uncycled tank with a high bioload (unfortunately you added too many fish at once and your stocking levels are very high but hopefully they'll live through the cycle). You can start with 50% and DAILY go from there once you get the test kit. Make sure you use dechlorinator; Prime is best but whatever you have on-hand is fine for now. Don't bother with the bacteria stuff; most time it doesn't work. Water changes will NOT affect the cycle. Do not add any more fish at all; you're already overstocked and perhaps improperly stocked for your size tank. If you can return some of the fish (the 2 angels particularly) that would be best but if not just try your best.

Basically a cycled tank means you want to grow enough good bacteria in your filter to handle the ammonia the fish put out through waste. Until that happens (which can take 1-3 months) your fish are going to be swimming in toxins, so that's where the test kit and water changes come into play. Don't change out or touch the filter media regardless of what the manufacturers or the store might tell you.

Do a water change, get a test kit (the API master liquid is best; strips are cheaper but not accurate) and test the water then post results here and we can help. You might also want to read the following which will explain the cycle more and explain when to do water changes:

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

My levels are amonia .20 no3 10 no2 0 ph 6.0 Kh.20 gh 60

I did a 25% change before test, And your saying I have to many fish or to many fish during cycling? Need all the help I can get

Back
Top Bottom