Help A.S.A.P - Peat Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I pruchased some peat moss and wa sinformed that all I do is simply add it into the tank. So i did ! The water is black and all the peat moss is floating ?

How can I get it to sink ?

It softens the water by releasing tannins, just like driftwood. Only it has a lot more tannins. Have you checked your PH.

It dropped .5 after looking at options etc ... I am considering to put a pair of yellow labs in there which means I want it to go back up so I empty 3/4 of water and then refilled. I am waiting for some of it to settle and then am going to do another water change.

There are no fish in the tank. I have managed to get rid of alot and am scopping lots of the rest out every so often so it is starting to clear up.

I admit I've never used peat, but from what I've read, you'd use peat plates, underneath the substrate, when it's for plant use.

I know some people who go the whole layered substrate system swear by it. layer of peat, layer of soil, layer of gravel on top.

More often, i see peat used to release tannins to replicate 'blackwater' conditions that some fish live in.

The only time I ever used peat was peat moss in a diorama for a 7th grade English project. I recall getting an A- 8)

I used peat in my 10 gallon to lower the GH. didn't do squat. Maybe lowered it a degree or 2, and made my tank into tea water :p

I got peat pellets from a fluval peat kit, and wrapped it in the polyester stuffing i use as my filter (god bless Aquaclear filters)

I have also heard of using it as an under-substrate fertilizer. I imagine it turns messy after a while though!

As Malkore said it needs to be below the substrate to help plants while avoiding issues. It takes a couple days of soaking to get water logged and stay down.

FWIW: I used peat plates below the substrate in my Walstad-ish tank and they come up after uprooting too easily once crypts reach down there. I will not use peat plates again.

I have a thin layer of Canadian sphagnum peat moss below pumice and mulm below ADA Aquasoil in another tank. A young tank but so far so good.

Well I dida 75% water change and tank P.H. has risen to 6.8.
Water is a bit merky still but doing fine. I added just normal pea gravel after the water change. The tank has rcovered and looks well. What should I add then? LOL

Yes, I have heard of using peat as a bottom layer. Due to its acidic properties, it is able to facilitate the leeching of minerals out of whatever it is in proximity with (eco-complete, flourite, etc.) thus providing more nutrients for your plants.

Does the peat contain trace nutrients and minerals the plants need as well? Or does it just suck the stuff out of the other substrate and bring it into the proximity of roots? I'm curious, because I hear that peat will dramatically lower your Ph, and that is something I really need for my newer tanks. My tap Ph is 8.4. If it helps plants, that's even better.

Back
Top Bottom